Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Richard Reid Old Monkland Scotland

Good morning everyone,
    I am trying to find and verify parents for:

Richard Reid. born 1828 Old Monkland, Lanarkshire Scotland. The Scottish census 1841 and 1851 lists him as being born there. The 1851 census also lists his mother ? Christine Reid. born 1797 died 1857. She is listed as widow. However Christine Reid prev Russell married Robert Taylor in 1824. Cannot find a marriage for Christine Russell/Taylor to Richard Reid Snr. I am also trying to find Richard's father Richard death details.
    On Richard's Australian death record, it only states father Richard Reid, lockkeeper. mother Christine Rusell.

I may have found his parents as Richard Reid and Janet Cunningham. but other people researching have a son named Richard Reid born 1829 d. 1885 in Scotland, so either they are right and its not my Richard Reid or they are wrong. Christine Russell's parents are: John Russell and Janet Chalmers. Hoping you can help.

I cannot find a death for Christine (or Christian - more likely in Scotland, Anc has her as Christiane) Reid aged 59-61 on Scotlands People. Where did she die?

I see that the child with her in the 1851, Elizabeth Taylor, is her niece. You could try tracing Elizabeth's birth and find out which Taylor was her parent...

Scotlands People does not show any marriage between Chris* Russel(l) or Taylor and a Richard Reid. There are marriages to other Reids, but not Richard. It's always possible that the relevant church register did not survive.

Also, get that Richard's 1885 death cert from Scotlands People HERE - it should give his parents. SP has 2 Richard Reids d. 1884-7 aged 83 and 47, neither of whom fit with your guy's birthdate of 1829.

Did the other people quote a source?

There's a collection of sticky posts on sources for searching for Scottish genealogy HERE

PS The Elisabeth Taylor b. 1846 has her birthplace given or her baptism record as Airdrie or New Monkland, and her parents as William T and Elisabeth Gillespie. They married 1832, Airdrie or New Monkland.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wink Richard Reid

Dear Lesley
    thankyou for looking into Richard Reid. will check miss Taylor.
    will keep looking.
    regards
    Doreen

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Doreen,
    I've had a look and there is indeed a Richard Reid, born Old Monkland who is a lock keeper or similar in censuses. You may have spotted him. He is probably the Richard Reid b 1802 to parents William Reid and Janet Cunningham and had several siblings. Richard married Margaret Thompson in 1829, so after young Richard's birth.
    Christina Russell married Robert Taylor in 1824 as you know and had 2 children, Isabella and Archibald. No further sightings of Robert so he may have died after 1826 or the marriage may have broken down. Christina may then have lived with Richard Reid but no sign of a marriage. This relationship must have broken down by 1829 when Richard married Margaret. She died in Paisley in 1857 as Christina Taylor.
    I think you may know all this! But I do agree that Richard snr is likely to be the son of William Reid and Janet Cunningham.