Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Researching family tree - Warden

Hello all, I have been researching our family tree for many years which is very interesting, for us in South Africa it all started with a young 19 year old Henry Douglas Warden been officially sent to Cape Town, South Africa in 1819. Later a town was named after him "Warden" and he was also the founder of one of our citys called "Bloemfontein", both, in the Free State Province of South Africa. I am now busy tracing his Father's details who I recently discovered was in the 7th Royal Veteran Battalion and died in 1805 in the UK butI have no further details as yet!
    I look forward to joining the right or even a few forums to assist me with this research.

Thank you
    Carolyn Warden

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Have a look round, see what’s where and join in the fun!

Do you know what his father’s name was?

Settling in

On Ancestry, there is a tree which makes Henry Douglas the (illegitimate) grandson of Bonny Prince Charlie. According to this tree, his father was Charles Frederick Warden and his mother was Mary Cooper.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Findmypast has a suitable birth and baptism for Henry Douglas WARDEN in 1800.

Also a possible marriage for his parents and a possible birth/baptism of a sibling.

All with images.

Peter

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

FindMyPast has a record under "British Army Officers' Widows Pension Forms 1755-1908" that includes, amongst other things, Charles Warden a) died 27 Jul 1806 b) married 21st Jun 1796.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FindMypast has a marriage record (image) that fits the date of marriage and bride's maiden name given on the pension record.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"