Thread: A muddle

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default A muddle

Sidney Johnson married Martha Hall (nee Brunning) in 1852. I have found five children in the GRO with the mother's maiden name of Brunning:

Elizabeth Maria Q2 1852
    Martha Q3 1854
    Margaret Q4 1856
    George Sidney Q2 1860
    Charles William Q1 1865

Tracking Sidney and Martha through the census reveal Sidney died just before the 1911 census. Martha is in the 1911 census quoting 59 years married and six children born, three surviving and three deceased. I have the death of Margaret in 1888 but haven't identified the other two yet.

But, the real muddle is the missing sixth child. I have been through the GRO birth indexes with mother's maiden name of Brunning from 1851 to 1867 and there are only five. There is an Elizabeth Maria Johnson born Q2 1852 with mother's maiden name of Brunning and another Elizabeth Maria Johnson born Q1 1863 with mother's maiden name of Rivers.

In the 1871 census (Croydon, ED25, Schedule 174, Piece 843, Folio 90, Page 41) for Sidney and Martha they have Margaret, George Sidney and Elizabeth Maria and Charles William with them. Ages are right for Martha, George and Charles and Elizabeth with Elizabeth aged 8 so born 1862/3.

There is a death of an Elizabeth Maria Johnson in Q4 1857 in Norwich aged 5. So, born 1852.

There are two Elizabeth Maria Johnsons and I can believe the first may have died aged 5 and they named a second, younger daughter with the same name (a good, strong family name) but why is her birth record showing a mother's maiden name as Rivers? Illegitimate? Error? Anywhere else I can check, look?

there is an Elizabeth Maria Johnson born 1862 mother maiden name Bunning

JOHNSON, ELIZABETH MARIA
    BUNNING

GRO Reference: 1862 D Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 1

do you think this could be her name is similar

Gosh, you may be right. Sidney and Martha were living in Kensington in the 1861 census. Looks like a mis-transcription of the mother's maiden name. And, this makes the baby born with mother's maiden name as Rivers a false lead - and confusing me.

Thank you!

your welcome hope it turns out to be right
    good luck

Just thought I'd let you know it was right. I back-tracked on my research and sorted it all out. The first born Elizabeth Maria died aged 5 and they gave another daughter the same name. Thank you.

Its great when you get correct information …….our ancestors don't make it easy!!