Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Ignore the links and select the census you want from the home of Ancestry on the right hand side at the top of the page.

So for instance click on the 1891 census, and then when that is selected scroll down the page and you will see a heading "included data collections". From that list select England, and then use the references that I have given you to fill in the appropriate boxes i.e.

Piece: 1519; Folio: 132; just putting in at the top the name i.e George Chaney
    perfect - thanks again - now found them

Thanks Megan - can't believe how addictive this is - originally started out just looking at military history but thanks to you have found out so much more

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by wingers View Post
    Thanks Megan - can't believe how addictive this is - originally started out just looking at military history but thanks to you have found out so much more
    That's the problem we all have - once we start none of us can stop!

In the 1901 Census Frederick William Smith’s father, Arthur Henry, says that he was born in Wymondham. That parish falls under the registration district of Forehoe. The best fit birth registration is:
    Arthur Henry Smith July quarter 1864 Forehoe Vol 4B Page 177, mother’s maiden name Blyth.

Searching for a Smith / Blyth marriage in Forehoe (just guessing that’s where it would have taken place) brings up:
    Samuel Smith marrying Margaret Blyth in the December quarter of 1855 Volume 4B Page 459

The 1861 census shows them living in Wymondham, Samuel was a bricklayer born in 1835 and Margaret in 1837 and both were from that parish. RG9 Piece 1223 Folio 113 Page 14

Samuel died in 1868. I think that by the time of his death he must have been reasonably successful because in the 1871 census his widow Margaret is described as “carrying on business of bricklaying & employing 2 men & 2 boys 10-4 others”.

In the 1851 Census he is living with his widowed mother Lucy, who was born in Wymondham in 1800, and who was described as the “pauper widow of a bricklayer”. At that time he was a 17 year old bricklayer’s labourer. Piece 1817 Folio 417 Page 22.

From the 1841 Census I would guess that his father was also called Samuel and born at about the same time as his mother. The 1841 census is not very helpful as it does not tell you the relationships of people in a household, nor their marital status, and it rounds their ages to nearest 5 years, and finally it only tells you whether or not people were born in the county where the census was taken.

I believe that he died the same year as the Census. (1841)

26 May 1818 Samuel Smith married Lucy Rudling at Wymondham Parish Church. This was at time before civil registration when all marriages had to be conducted in the parish church, and it’s the old form of parish record which does not give you any parents’ names. It tells you that they were both from Wymondham, and single, and because they signed their names we know that they were literate, and that they were of age. The parish records are available on Findmypast.

All of the above is an educated guess that you would have to back up by getting the right birth, marriage and death certificates. But I wanted to try and show you that Smith is not an impossible name to research – so says the granddaughter of Mary Jones Smith!! Believe me Jones is far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    No problem:

This is his WW1 service record
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    If not find the record set called British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 from the CARD CATALOGUE and put his name in and year of birth and you will find him.

I will look for the others and post those.
    Okay, now have his service record downloaded - now to try and decipher what the pages actually say, as some very faded/feint and I suspect damaged in fire - others full of jargon

Quote Originally Posted by wingers View Post
    Okay, now have his service record downloaded - now to try and decipher what the pages actually say, as some very faded/feint and I suspect damaged in fire - others full of jargon
    You are right about the fire damage. 60 per cent of all World War 1 service records during an air raid in World War 2 and what was saved are known as the burnt records. Most of us find that our ancestors records were lost.

I consider myself very lucky then that I do have some documents to read - even more of a reason for me to decipher all they say so I know as much as I can about the timeline of my family at war

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123