Thread: Charles Benfold

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Charles Benfold

I am trying to find more information about Charles Benfold my 3rd Great Grandfather. I have researched on Ancestry.com as extensively as I can and have hit a brick wall. I know that he was born in London in 1776 but can find no Baptism records. I know that he died in Stockport Cheshire in 1853 and can find records for this. I have contacted many people through Ancestry and all have said who his parents are but I do not believe it to be both of these people. I need to try and find his Baptism record or some record of who his parents were. On Ancestry the information that I have been told by others is that his father was Sir Charles Bampfylde and his mother Lady Catherine. In Sir Charles' will he mentions only his :natural born" children Louisa, Reverend Charles, and George who was the third born and given the title of Baron when his father dies. I have read in the History of Parliament about Sir Charles and it mentions that he had 3 illegitimate children that he cites in his Will. I cannot read this document clearly to see the mention of these names. I only see him constantly referring to his "natural born" three children.
    I don't know what I can do from here as like I said I have hit a brick wall.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not in the United Kingdom but would come if I think it would be of help to research. I have been told that Westminster Library holds many records and is a good place to start but any help would be appreciated. Kind regards/

Hi
    Do you have Charles on the 1841 census?
    Is this him in 1851, HO107 Piece 2156 Folio 363 Page 40
    A hawker married lodging at Cooper St Stockport Cheshire name transcribed as Charles Benford?
    Head of household William Benford age 40 , shoemaker, born Belford Derbyshire

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Christina Thank you for your quick reply I have him living with William Benfold who was his first born son sons..his first daughter Sarah Benfold is my 2nd great Grandmother and married William Sharman in Derbyshire. I have all that info already saved on Ancestry...I still think he is illegitimate I can't find anything else about his birth but know he married Rebecca Bishop....also on his death notice I see in the records in the same month and year one person Charles George Benfold is registered as death notice in St Lukes London and also Stockport Cheshire ...the names are written under each other in the list...I do know he died at St Thomas Stockport and so did his wife...that is also very confusing....I appreciate your help Christina ...Kind regards

also on his death notice I see in the records in the same month and year one person Charles George Benfold is registered as death notice in St Lukes London and also Stockport Cheshire ...the names are written under each other in the list...I do know he died at St Thomas Stockport and so did his wife...that is also very confusing..
    There are two deaths as you say but FreeBMD has a Charles Benfold (no middle name) death registered Stockport vol 8a page 44 and a Charles George Benfold death registered St. Luke Middlesex vol 1b page 384.
    A death had to be registered in the district where it occured so I would be quite sure that the Charles George Benfold is not your man.
    This is verified on the GRO index which does give ages and the Charles George is 0 years of age. Your Charles is 79.

Christina

And a belated warm welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Christina thank you for picking up on that...I am very sure that Charles Benfold is not the child of both parents mentioned. He may or not be the illegitimate child of Sir Charles as three were mentioned in Sir Charles' Will there may also be others. I suppose this is very hard to trace in genealogy if he is the illegitimate child and also as there were no Birth Records at that time except for Baptism Records. I do know that Benfold is a fairly uncommon British name and like I said I have hit a brick wall with this ancestor.
    Kind regards,