Default England/Hitchcox

This group has been so helpful to me with other brickwalls, so thanks in advance. Im trying to trace a family from canada back to england. In Canada they go by the surname of England, i can find them in England in 1871, however what seems like the same family in 1861 has the surname of Hitchcox. The story is that two brothers reverted to their mothers maiden name sometime during those ten years and then both brothers left and moved their families to Canada.

1) Do you think i'm right that these two census are the same family?
    2) Why would they change their name and how/where might i find out why/when?

TIA
    Last edited by christanel; 30-08-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: image removed breach of copyright, can't read it anyway

Image removed - in breach of copyright. And the wrong one anyway
    Christina

Loves to help with queries

Well it seems this Richard England is to be found in the 1861 Census, also the 1851 and the 1841 with
    his parents William and Elizabeth, father also a joiner. Father is deceased by 1851. Looks as if Mother's
    maiden name was Walker.

Thanks, Ill take another look!

Silly me I posted the wrong 1871 census, i was referring to this one. Ive been through so many documents Im starting to get confused!
    Last edited by christanel; 30-08-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: image removed - in breach of copyright and difficult to read anyway.

Hi fieryone
    I have had to delete the full images of the census as they are in breach of copyright of the pay per view sites where they are available to view. I also found them very difficult to read (old eyes)

The easiest option for you is to give us the RG number (year of census) Piece, folio and page number then we can find it ourselves or you can transcribe all the information for each member of the family.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Well I had time to get the details before deletion [and, yes they were difficult to read].
    I have checked the birth of Caroline in GRO Index 1855 Mar qtr Banbury Union mmn GOLBY.
    Youngest Alice M aged 3 in 1871 born Warw. Birmingham, cannot find a Alice England but
    found a Alice Hitchcox 1867 Sep qtr Birmingham mmn GOLBY. So looks like the same family.

The parents it seems were William Hitchcox [born Isleworth Mx c 1807 and Mary England
    married 1826, so well before Richard was baptized at Atherton in 1831. Wife Mary Hannah
    was recorded as Hitchcox at death in Banbury Reg. Dist., so it would seem that was the
    point of change of name. Perhaps a PDF of her Death Certificate might shed some light?
    It is possible the sister Sophia also married an England of the same place [Ratley, Warw.].