Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Death, Barton Regis, Jun qrt 1879
    Maria Penelope Bowles, age 47.

Marriages Mar 1887, Bradford Wiltshire, John Bowles/Frances Elizabeth Spratt.

1891,The Laundry Turleigh, Bradfor, Wiltshire. RG12; Piece: 1606; Folio: 61; Page: 8
    John Bowles 62, carman, Turleigh
    Fanny Bowles 34, laundress, Salisbury
    Eliza Perry 18, servant, Bristol

I've found Sarah Alice's brother John in 1881 RG11; Piece: 2447; Folio: 69; Page: 43
    Still not found Sarah, or her father John.
    Alma

Settling in

Thanks, Alma.
    I too have found Sarah's father, John (of Bradford), his first and second wives (Maria Penelope and Frances Elizabeth) and her brother John, but still Sarah's records for 1871 &81 remain tantalisingly elusive.
    at the moment I'm trawling through using not only the name Sarah Alice Bowles, bit also Maud Alice Selman ( as this is the name she put on her daughter's birth certificate) and Sarah Alice Selman, as it seems logical.
    I'm convinced the Sarah and Davis Selman never actually married, but I think I'm looking for her at an address that might link to him. I'm also looking in Southampton, as that's where her daughter seems to have cropped up as a Nurse Child. I cant imagine Sarah abandoning her baby so far from bath, unless she was an absent parent while with Selman.
    Thanks again
    Mike

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello
    I am Dorothy Alice Bowles oldest granddaughter. I was fascinated and appreciative of the information collected by the respondents above regarding the man believed to be my great grandfather. Those who surmised that David and Sarah Alice did not marry were correct - according to his letters i believe he was concerned that his family would not tolerate his marriage to Alice as she was known.
    Dorothy's grandfather died in a carriage accident when she was about 8 and her life as a illegitimate child became very difficult. According to family lore she believed that her father had died in a ship wreck on the horn of Africa but clearly that was erroneous.
    thank you to those who have posted information. If you wish, you can reach me by email gwevrilDOTkirkATgmail.com.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 14-10-2018 at 6:16 PM. Reason: incorrect email

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

please let me correct my email address gwevrilDOTkirkATgmail.com Thank you
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 14-10-2018 at 6:18 PM. Reason: E-mail munged to deter spammers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123