Thread: A valuable cow

Default A valuable cow

From the Grahamstown Journal 21 February 1884

GOLDEN WEDDING
    Perhaps (writes the Herald) there is no-one better known in Port Elizabeth than Mr. James S. REID, who is now farming near Sandflats. Monday last was Mr. REID’s wedding day; nay, more, it was his “golden” wedding day. We wish him joy. It was an unlucky day, however, with him, for on that day he lost a valuable imported cow, for which he gave fifty guineas, and his best saddle-horse, also a valuable animal, died.
    I think, if it were my golden wedding, I would be seriously upset if the newspaper, without even mentioning me, marked the occasion by commenting on the loss of my husband's valuable imported cow
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

Me too Sue!

Wilkes_ml

It is strange how Golden Wedding Anniversaries are only applicable to the man. Last week i came across a newspaper report of one ..
    A quarter page spread that detailed the man's life, his parents, his occupations over the years and his hobbies. His poor wife got one line and it didn't even give her name, just her father's name. Women were clearly of no importance back then.

There’s a couple of marriage registrations in my OPS database where the bride’s name isn’t included! Mind you, only the grooms were of the parish, which might be the excuse...