Thread: Records needed

Default Records needed

Hi, I'm in need of examples of military records. I already have Army and RAF, but would love to see some others, e.g. Navy, WAAC, if anyone would be happy to post any. Much appreciated! 😉

Someone has to ask - why?

Don’t forget that they vary with time period.

I'm looking into the type of information that was asked of the enlisted; what questions were asked, what examination were performed, how their careers were catalogued, how the records differ between the different military branches etc, for both male and females. I'm specifically looking at WW1 and WW2. I would also love to know how individuals were recorded and monitored as part of the Service Act, but there is not much information out there relating to that.��

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are you talking about service records?
    If so, you're asking people to hand over what is basically personal information. And whilst I don't mind sharing my granddad's naval record with family members I'm not going to hand over copies to any old Tom, Dick or Harry. Other people may feel differently. depending on exactly why you want them.

There are various (non-service) records in the public domain which can be accessed either by going to The National Archives at Kew, or paying to access them via sites such as Ancestry, Findpast or Forces War Records.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Pam.

Examples of service records are exactly what I need for my research. I understand it is personal information, which is why I appealed to those 'happy' to post. I certainly don't expect anyone to plaster personal information all over this or any other forum, simply get in touch if they are willing. I apologise if I didn't explain this in detail in my original post, I was simple just trying to start a dialogue. I am also only after the form format set by the organisation, not the answers given by the subject, as stated in my previous post.

But don't worry, this Tom, Dick or Harry will be more careful when asking for assistance in future.

You can't expect people to hand over information without knowing what you are going to do with it. That was why I asked (#2).

As Pam said, many sites, such as the National Archives, provide lists of the information to be found on such forms. If you just want a generic form, the quickest way would be to go to Ancestry, FMP or one of the others, and download the service record for a random name (eg John Smith).

Knowledgeable and helpful