Thread: A need to vent!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default A need to vent!

For a while now I have been quietly searching through various censuses on FMP in the parish of LLANLLYFNI, and basically using their search function to bring up all the names beginning with a certain letter in that parish, and then working looking for "missing" family, who may have been mis-transcribed.

THEN an hour into working this morning FMP suddenly changed their results screen to something diabolically inane - its not useless, its just inane and WHY?

Of course I can't show you what it looked like before but this is what it looks like now:

From memory the names appeared first, and then the birth year and then place of birth. But why do I need to see the county in bold on the left hand side? Its very distracting as it is far too dominating. I personally don't think including the registration district adds anything to the search results.

In my view what they have done is to reduce the information in the search results and ensure that people have to view more records to find the one that they want, and if they are on a pay as they go plan, well that's going to cost them isn't it, or am I just being cynical?

Vent complete!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you cleared your browser of any FMP history for at least today, and then tried again? (Says me, the least techie person around! ) My broweser is Firefox, and I'm not having any problems. (She says, rapidly crossing everything!!)

I've just tried searching using a direct link to each census, and then using the way where you have to select a census from a dropdown list. What I'd never noticed before is that you get a different 'presentation' of results.

Using the direct link for the 1911 (as an example) and searching for Mary living in LLANLLYFNI parish you get
    first name(s), last name, birth year, birth place, registration district, parish, county.

Using the census search from the 'census, land and surveys' section where you have to select a year, the results are shown for 1911 as
    last name, first name, born, died, event, record set, location.
    Quite why it should say 'died' escapes my logic (all the entries have a dash beside them), the event says 1911, record set says '1911 census for England and Wales', while location says Llanllyfni, Carnarvon, Caernarvonshire, Wales.

If you don't already have it, this is the link to select a particular census (which also gives you more search options) https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/census-land-and-survey--records/census

Hope you can soon resolve your problem.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Pam

You are a Technical Genius!!!

I cleared all the temporary files and its back to normal. Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Pam

You are a Technical Genius!!!

I cleared all the temporary files and its back to normal. Thank you.
    My son will never believe that! His description of me with regard to computers is much less flattering.

Pleased everything is OK now.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”