Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

I've snipped the signatures from his marriage certificate and also the 1870 army discharge for the John Reece in the 61st Regiment who said he was born Liverpool, and it looks like the same man to me:

Famous for offering help & advice

I think John is in Raglan Barracks, Stoke Damerel, Devon in 1861, PoB again given as Liverpool. The first two people listed are Major John P Redmond and Major Alexander W Gordon, who were both definitely officers of the 61st Regiment. There is a photograph of the officers at Raglan Barracks in 1861 here:

https://www.historyireland.com/home-...l-j-p-redmond/

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I've snipped the signatures from his marriage certificate and also the 1870 army discharge for the John Reece in the 61st Regiment who said he was born Liverpool, and it looks like the same man to me:

I agree that the signatures are the same. I am perplexed right now as to why he would say he was born in Liverpool when he entered the army, and why in census returns he puts that he was born in Germany and is a (Naturalised) British Subject? My guess is that he lied to get into the army, and that the recruiting sergeant didn't care about some bloke with a weird accent as long as he got his quota.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12