Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daniel Lay, boat man, father of Thomas

Hi All, my mum has recently asked me to look to i our family history, with her 70th approaching she is after some information about her roots.

I have done ok, based on the little information I have but I am now stuck! I am looking for the father of Thomas Lay (1830ish). I have Thomas marriage certificate and I can see his father is Daniel Lay Boat Man of 27 Collingwood street. However I can get no further information than this. Other trees with some of the same family member have listed a Daniel Lay but he has no records of having a child called Thomas but has about 5 other children, also he would be about 56 when he was born which feels a little old but not out of the question, however on all marriage certificates for other children it states this Daniel Lay was a solicitor. He is also listed in Law practices so I think he is not the correct person and am reluctant to add him and search further.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here, I can only find one census with Thomas and his wife on it but nothing what so ever prior to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank so all xx

Famous for offering help & advice

Could you perhaps give us some more specific information - 'Collingwood Street' isnt a lot to go on without at least a County! Who did Thomas marry for instance, along with when & where. If you have a copy of the certificate, the names of the witnesses may also provide clues. It would also be helpful if you could provide details of the census you have found, including the references if possible.

Reputation beyond repute

his father is Daniel Lay Boat Man of 27 Collingwood street
    Marriage certificates do not give the father's address

Where was Thomas born, according to census returns?

Sorry it’s, 27 Collingwood Street, Tower Hamets, Bethnal Green. Thomas Lay 22(1830ish) married Susannah Cameroux 22, on the 30/05/1852. The marriage certificate has Daniel Thomas, Boatman as the father, 27 Collingwood Street, and Susannah’s father as Henry Cameroux, Coloured paper maker 7 Collingwood Street, I assumed was the fathers address, I didn’t notice it said residence at the time of marriage which indicates their address and not the parents,I have searched the census for the address under 1851 and 1841 and none of them are listed. I have found Thomas listed in directory as bootmaker which matches his occupation on the birth certificate.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Natalie
    I have moved this thread from the Introduce yourself forum to the Brickwalls forum as it has turned into a query for help with an ancestor. and some of our members are already on the case.
    Good luck with it.
    Christina

Oh forgot to say I have given it the title 'Daniel Lay, Boat Man, father of Thomas' but if you prefer something else just say.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

If I have the right couple, they are already living as man & wife in 1851, with Thomas giving his place of birth as Bradfield, Essex. In the next household is a Mary Taylor aged 62 & born Bradfield, who may well be worth making a note of, along with her husband, John.

Freereg has this baptism in Bradfield: 18 Apr 1830, Thomas s/o Thomas & Mary Lay, Labourer. Not the right father, I know, but this seems to be the only baptism to this couple so it may not be all that it seems.

A possibility for Thomas in 1841: - 50 Black Friars Road, Southwark, Thomas Lay 15 Porter not born in County. In 1851 Thomas is a Coal Porter, so the occupation fits, even if the age is out.

Susannah & Thomas have the following children:
    LAY, ELLEN mmn CAMROUX GRO Ref: 1853 D Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN Volume 01C Page 236
    LAY, SUSANNAH ELIZABETH mmn CAMEROUX GRO Ref: 1855 J Quarter in SHOREDITCH DISTRICT Volume 01C Page 125 Order
    LAY, THOMAS mmn CAMROUX GRO Ref: 1857 S Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 119
    LAY, JAMES THOMAS mmn CAMROUX GRO Ref: 1858 D Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 126
    LAY, ALICE FRANCES mmn CAMEREW GRO Ref: 1861 J Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 55
    LAY, HARRIET mmn CAMROUX GRO Ref: 1863 J Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 206

In 1871 Thomas, Susannah & family are in Bethnal Green - RG10, Piece 497, Folio 37, Page 19 – although Thomas now claims to have been born in Deptford, Kent.

I have to finish for now, but hopefully someone will be along soon to add more.

Another child.

LAY, HENRY MATTHEW, Mother's maiden name CAMROUX
    GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 161

I think this is them in 1891, indexed as DAY

6, Devonshire Place, Hackney. RG12; Piece: 204; Folio: 85; Page: 2
    Thomas Day 62, shoemaker, Deptford
    Susan Day 60, shoe binder, Shoreditch
    Henry Day 15, wood????, Shoreditch
    Alma

1881, indexed as SAY
    35 Goldsmith Sqre, St Leonard, Haggerston. RG11; Piece: 405; Folio: 71; Page: 46
    Thomas Say 53, cordwainer, Deptford
    Susanha Say 50, shoebinder, Bethnal Green
    James Thos. Say 22, wood carver, Hackney Rd
    Harriett Say 18, Shoreditch
    Henry M. Say 5, Shoreditch
    Alma

Hmm perhaps that 1851 census entry isn't them after all, as Susannah is with her parents at 27 Cotton Gardens, Shoreditch
    Henry Camroux 46 Rope Maker born Shoreditch
    Susan 55 Wife
    Susan 20 Daur

Henry Camroux married Susannah Dye 21 Feb 1830 Saint Matthew, Bethnal Green.

There is a marriage of Thomas Lay in Essex in 1850, and on the same page is a Susannah Moul, so this could be the couple on the 1851 census.

Henry Camroux 46 Rope Maker born Shoreditch
    Susan 55 Wife
    Susan 20 Daur
    I think Henry's occupation says paper maker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1861, 6, Boot St, Shoreditch, RG 9; Piece: 240; Folio: 18; Page: 42

Henry Camerond 57, fancy colour paper maker, Shoreditch
    Susan Camerond 68, Hertford
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast