Default Old men enlisting for WW1

A person B. 1855 would be 59 in 1914 at the start of WW1.
    Could he enlist, given that he may lie about his age.
    If impossible then I can dismiss it from my searches.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will explain our connection.
    Here is a discussion about the formal age limits of service but with evidence that the guidelines were ignored.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks.
    Well it looks like the rules don't really matter, what ever the upper/lower age limit people just lie, or the recruiters push them through anyway.
    So I won't dismiss the possibility.
    Patrick

Some older men with special skills were recruited (or more often, re-called) to train others. They generally stayed in the UK.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

My grandfather's half brother William Hyde was born 1867, so not as old as your man. He served in the Boer War. Afterwards he went back to being a bricklayer, but was in the Special Reserves (like Territorials but more so). He was called up from the reserves at the outbreak of WWI when he was 47 but his record has him as 44. Apparently experienced men were in demand for training all the raw recruits. He was in the 3rd Hants at first, a depot battalion. Then in Sep 1916 he was transferred to the 2nd Garrison Bn of the Dorsets and manned a fort on the south coast. He never went overseas.
    Barbara