Thread: Thoughts Please

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Thoughts Please

I have just been to the churchyard at Osmaston by Ashbourne in Derbyshire where there is a stone to John EVANS died the 16th July 1828 aged 56 (slate and perfectly legible).
    The Parish Register Entry has burial on the 19th July 1829 aged 53.
    The 56 age is correct based on marriage licence age. I presumed the stone was an error BUT what are your thoughts of the correct year of burial from the register?
    After the bottom entry on the 23rd June 1829, the first entry on the next page is the 8th December 1829 (2 burials) then on to 1830.
    Thanks Mitch

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I would guess it's 1828, and the year of 1829 in the register has been altered in the wrong place.

As for the age at burial, it depends who the informant was.

I would be certain that the gravestone would be right, as it would not have been cheap and the details would have been correct by whoever paid for it.

Date of death being 3 days before burial, is about right.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Interestingly Steve, the son of John EVANS - Thomas - is on a neighbouring stone - died "11th November 1832 aged 37". Burial Register has a burial date of 3rd November. Probate states died 31st October. Stones can often be done wrongly. But yes my thought with this was it was missed from the 1828 burial page and 1829 date added then back filled without the 1829 being altered in the register....

Knowledgeable and helpful

In my experience, gravestones were often put up some years after the burial and I have seen many mistakes over ages and other information on them. You get mistakes on death certificates too and it’s usually because the person supplying the information made a mistake or guessed. So the same probably applies to gravestones.
    ELWYN

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do the BTs exist for you to check against the PR?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I knew somebody would raise that one. And Yes Pam they do exist. Sadly they were at the now closed Lichfield Record Office and have been transferred to the Staffordshire Archives even further away. Derbyshire BTs after 1858 are handily at Matlock but not the earlier ones!