Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Looking for information on Kate Coombs 1911

The 1911 Census Weston-Super-Mare has my father listed as a boarder(3 months old) with a Kate Coombs at St Denis, Drove Road WSM. Does anyone know of this address or Kate Coombs or why my father might have been there?
    In the same census, it appears that my father's mother, Kathleen Cormack (nee Player) was lodging at a different address! Any information would be so appreciated.
    It seems at some point in my father's young life that he was raised by a Sleeman family possible in Bristol. I have no further information.
    My father went by the name of Guy Kenneth Marshall-Cormack. His birth certificate lists his father as Alfred James Marshall Cormack. I have not been able to find any information on him.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello, welcome to the forum

I'm sure you will have already noticed that Ellen Mary Sleeman (born Clifton, Bristol, 1850) is with Kathleen Noel Cormack on that 1911 census.

John Willway Phillips Sleeman (born 1848 Clifton, Bristol) married Ellen Mary Crook in 1879. Ellen Mary Sleeman died in 1924 (buried at Brean, Somerset). John W P Sleeman died at Windsor in 1928 aged 80.

John COOMBS married Kate HANDO, Bristol district 1878 (volume 6a page 5)

I haven't found a Player/Cormack or Player/Marshall-Cormack marriage.

As far as I can see JWP Sleeman and Ellen had just one son, John Herbert Sleeman, born Bristol 1880 who became a university lecturer.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I’m thinking perhaps the Sleemans may have fostered my father as a baby. I only know the Sleeman name as my father once made a reference to a Richard Sleeman being his half brother and alluded to his mother being Kathleen Player as on his birth certificate. I have been trying for years to progress this research but have been unsuccessful. I feel my father was born out of an affair with Alfred Cormack and that Alfred and Kathleen never married. In fact I believe she was already married.

the 1911 census when Kathleen Cormack is with Ellen Sleeman in Weston Super Mare, says that Kathleen was born about 1881 at Edgbaston, Birmingham. A Kathleen Player was born King's Norton district first quarter 1877 (volume 6c page 508) and a Kathleen Player married King's Norton district third quarter 1904 to either John Edmund LATHAM or Alan Charles TURNER (volume 6c page 717).

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    A Kathleen Player was born King's Norton district first quarter 1877 (volume 6c page 508) and a Kathleen Player married King's Norton district third quarter 1904 to either John Edmund LATHAM or Alan Charles TURNER (volume 6c page 717).
    sorry, I think all of that may be irrelevant

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by BarnGate View Post
    In the same census, it appears that my father's mother, Kathleen Cormack (nee Player) was lodging at a different address!
    She was not lodging there, she was just a visitor on the night of the census. Perhaps her usual address was where your father was on census night.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry to take up more of your time but do you think the Kings Norton Kathleen is the Kathleen on my father’s birth certificate? We’re any records kept when a child was fostered or went into care with another family? I’m still struggling with the Sleeman connection. There is a big gap in what I know from the date of this census until my father’s first marriage when he was 22. No idea where he lived or went to school. Maybe I will never know!

sorry I misled with Kings Norton, it was the only Kathleen Player I could find of vaguely the correct age and place of birth. I think that Kathleen Player is happily married to John Edmund Latham on the 1911 census - so please ignore.

Part of your 'big gap' will be filled when the 1921 census gets published, but you have a bit of a wait for that unfortunately.

When your father married was Alfred Marshall Cormack still given as his father ?

Dundee10

Kate COOMBS hasn't filled out the census form correctly. She answered the question intended for people who were born in a foreign country and has entered Guy as being Irish. Perhaps that is where his father was from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast