Thread: John Snee

Settling in

Default John Snee

I have a John Snee who married Mary Connell in Selby on 07 Dec 1872. On the certificate his father is recorded as James Snee (deceased) a farm labourer. Witnesses to the marriage were Catherine Connell (Mary's sister) and Anthony Finneghan. John is 20, so allegedly born c. 1852, but I cant find an obviously relevant birth. In the 1881 census he is living in Leeds with Mary and claims to have been born there in 1854. By 1891 Mary Snee is back in Selby as a widow. The death age of the one vaguely similar John Snee I can find who died in Leeds in 1888 suggests he was born in 1840. I cant find any relevant marriages or deaths for James Snee. The only similarities I can find are for a James Snee living (unmarried) in a chicory grower's shed in 1851 Kirk Fenton with a shedload of other Irish migrants (including an Anthony Finnegan). In 1871 there is a John Snee of the right age, born Church Fenton living with his mother Margaret Snee in Selby and the next door neighbour is Anthony Finnigan. There are some newspaper reports on FMP which suggest that a James Snee and a John Snee were frequent offenders for drunkenness and having no fixed abode (not concurrently). In the reports there is no suggestion that either had dependents. Anyone able to shed any light?
    Cheers

Famous for offering help & advice

I think this may be John & his mother in 1861 at South Parade, Selby - Anthony Finigan possibly John's uncle?

Margaret Finigan 30 born Ireland
    Anthony Finigan 20 Labourer born Ireland
    John Finigan 9 born Church Fenton

Unfortunately I cant find an obvious birth as Finigan/Finnegan either, unless this is it?

FINING, JOHN mmn GILGANY GRO Reference: 1852 D Quarter in SELBY Volume 09C Page 446

In 1881 Anthony Finnegan (recorded as Finningham) aged 39 & born Ireland is at Pitts Yard, Selby with wife Sarah & children, plus his MOTHER Margaret aged 60 & born Ireland.

It's possible that Margaret Finnegan & James Snee are John's parents, although they don't seem to have married.

Also another John Finnegan of the right age turns up in Selby in 1881 with a wife named Bridget, but he was born Ireland so I'm not sure if this is the same person - meaning John Snee is not John Finnegan - or someone different entirely.

ADDED: John Finninghan (sic) married Bridget Connor or Mary Ann Waldron in Q4 1871

Just another thought about John's 'disappearance' and Mary returning to Selby from Leeds. If you have access to FMP you should be able to see the criminal register from 1888 & also the newspaper reports. He was found not guilty because the girl (his daughter) said she had lied. Given the charges it's possible that Mary left him and declared herself a widow, even if she wasn't.

Settling in

Hi Jomot1,
    There is a conviction in 1882 of a John Snee in Leeds being a rogue and vagabond and exposing his person, which could be the same bloke, but also lots of reports of a John Snee in Tadcaster (which includes Church Fenton) being drunk, sleeping in barns and being a persistent offender. He has an alias of Scott so I obviously still have some digging to do. I did find the other John Finnigan b. Ireland and married to Bridget in several other censuses and he consistently says born Ireland and in Roscommon rather than Sligo, so probably isn't Anthony and Margaret's relative. Your suggestion that the John Finnigan of 1861 and John Snee of 1871 are the same person looks very likely. Thanks for all the useful pointers
    Sue

Yes, I saw the Tadcaster references but wasn't sure. The John William Snee of Leeds also threw me for a while.

I also wondered about the 1915 death in Wharfedale RD, although that's a little out of area.