Default William Barnett b 1821

William Barnett's obituary
    Evening Star, Issue 11630, 17 August 1901
    "Another resected townsman and old identity has passed away in the person of Mr William Barnett, a well-known and familiar figure in the north end of the town, where he resided in Albany street for over twenty years. The deceased gentleman, who was in his eightieth year, was born at Henley, Berkshire, England, and was educated in Kensington, London. He took up a scholastic profession, at first teaching at Exeter and Oxford, and was once lessee of the Strand Theatre, London. He emigrated to Victoria in 1854, and was in business at Maryborough, where he was appointed magistrate. He afterwards had a large store in Avoca, and was mayor of that district for three successive years. He came to Dunedin in 1862, and followed the occupation of an auctioneer until 1880, when he retired into private life. He lived a very retired life, and, apart from being chairman of the Albany street School Committee for many years, took no active interest in public affairs. Mr Barnett never knew what it was to have a day’s illness, and his death naturally came very suddenly. Shortly after lunch yesterday he complained of pains, and a little later he went off to sleep, never to waken again, death being probably due to failure of the heart’s action. He leaves a grown-up family of nine sons and two daughters. His wife pre-deceased him four and a-half years ago."
    As helpful as this seems I cannot positively identify William Barnett in either the 1851 or 1841 Censuses.
    William, his wife Rachel, his son Thomas, and his mother Caroline arrived in Melbourne on the "Miles Barton" which departed Liverpool 4th May 1854. Thomas is listed as an infant which tells us that he was under 1 year old on 4th May 1854.
    William Barnett married Rachel Mitchell at St Mary Newington, Surrey 18th Octr 1853 where William is described as "Gent, of full age" and his father as "William Barnett, Farmer".

The interpretation of Caroline Barnett on the "Miles Barton" as William's mother is supported by her death notice
    Otago Daily Times, Issue 3888, 3 August 1874
    "On the 1st August, Mrs Caroline Barnett, aged 81 years, at the residence of her son, W. Barnett, auctioneer, Dowling street"

So despite all this I cannot positively identify the following
    William Barnett born c1821 in either 1841 or 1851 censuses
    Caroline Barnett born c 1793 in either 1841 or 1851 censuses.

Thomas Barnett born within the year preceding 4th May 1854

I am trying establish if this Thomas Barnett and Thomas William Mitchell Barnett, who died 8 August 1941, aged 87 years, are one and the same.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.
    daryl
    Last edited by DBCoup; 16-08-2018 at 6:39 AM. Reason: mis-spelling of surname

Famous for offering help & advice

I think of Henley as being Oxfordshire, though it is right on the county border. There is a William Barnett on the 1851, born Harpsden (which is just south of Henley) HO 107; piece 1725; folio 302; page 18 - but he appears to be a carpenter employing 12, so I can't reconcile that with being a teacher. He might be the same William Barnett as on the 1841 with John & Elizabeth Tyler - HO 107; piece 874; folio 4; page 1, at Shiplake.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    Thomas Barnett born within the year preceding 4th May 1854
    BARNETT, WILLIAM THOMAS MITCHELL
    Mother;s maiden surname: MITCHELL
    GRO Reference: 1854 J Quarter in SAINT MARTIN IN THE FIELDS Volume 01A Page 295

Thanks wimsey
    That Henley is right on the county border certainly helps with one of the problems I have with this one. Yes it is the occupation that is throwing me. I am beginning to wonder how much we can rely on the obituary - seems odd that, having been a teacher, he did not return to that profession either in Australia or in New Zealand. One of his sons did become a teacher in New Zealand but that doesn't necessarily mean that his father was too. Perhaps the truth of the matter is that William Barnett is simply not recorded on the census records. Thanks again for your insight and efforts
    daryl

Wow! a slam dunk! Thank you Dundee10. Bold move to head out to Australia with a 6 month old child. Your by-line is certainly accurate "Knowledgeable and helpful" and a light-bulb moment - William Thomas Mitchell Barnett is recorded on the passenger list of the "Miles Barton" as Thomas. I wonder if his father is some-name William Barnett and is recorded in the census records under some-name Barnett. Can't wait to explore that possibility. Thanks again
    daryl

kia ora Dundee10
    I have been musing over why William Thomas Mitchell Barnett did not show up for me. I have been explicitly excluding the period he was registered from my search. I didn't think things through sufficiently - in my mind the June Quarter BEGAN in June. Of course it ENDS in June - Since the "Miles Barton" left 4 May there is no way that Thomas could have been registered in the quarter beginning in June - a silly error on my part - Thanks for helping tidy that up.

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast but if I ask it to look for baptisms of a William Barnett 1821 (+/- 2 years) in Oxfordshire it only finds me three (two of which the same person I should think)

William BARNETT - 1820 - Harpsden, Oxfordshire (non-conformist births & baptisms)
    William BARNET - 1820 - Rotherfield Greys, Oxfordshire (non-conformist)
    William BARNET - 1820 - Rotherfield Greys (England births & baptisms 1538-1975)

Rotherfield Greys is 2 miles west of Henley.

Thanks wimsey
    Clearly I need to brush up English geography ....
    cheers
    daryl

Thanks Dundee10
    I have William Thomas Mitchell Barnett's baptism. He was born 5 January 1854. His father's occupation is given as "commercial traveller" whereas he is described (or rather describes himself!) as "gent" on his 1853 marriage certificate.

I am therefore inclined to ignore the "valuable" clues provided in his 1901 obituary in favour of the more concrete clue provided by Caroline Barnett's 1874 death notice which identifies William as her son. Although her given age at the time of death (81 in 1874) is consistent with her given age on the passenger list of the "Miles Barton" (60 in 1854), they may also be consistently incorrect. My hard and fast rule in looking for William Barnett has to be "son of Caroline".
    Thanks again
    daryl