Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Elliott

Settling in

Default James Elliott

I am looking for any info on James Elliott, b.c. 1833 who married Mary Jane Jerrard (also spelt Jarrard, Gerard, Gerrard etc. etc.in other records) daughter of Archbold Jerrard and eventual mother of Archibald Elliott, in Sunderland in 1854) According to Select Marriages his father was Henry Elliott but I have no idea where he was born. He doesn't appear on the 1861 or 1871 Censuses, where his wife is described as a Mariner's wife and by 1881 she is a widow in Hartlepool. He doesn't seem to appear in Masters' and Mates' records and I have no idea whether he died at home or at sea, what ships or boats he might have served on. Can anyone with more knowledge of where to search give any pointers? Thanks.
    Last edited by Suekilp; 15-08-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: more detail needed

Hi, two points re: your tree on Ancestry
    1) you have the middle name Hoods for James, where did you get that information?
    2) I see James had a daughter named Dorothy, I therefore wonder have you considered this family?

1841, Brotton, Yorkshire. HO107; Piece: 1255; Book: 1; Folio: 6; Page: 7;
    Henry Elliott 40
    Dorothy Elliott 40
    James Elliott 7
    John Elliott 5
    Isabella Elliott 3

1851, Brotton. HO107; Piece: 2375; Folio: 96; Page: 3
    Henry Elliot 50
    Dorothey Elliot 51
    Isabella Elliot 18
    Richard Elliot 10
    Mary Ann Elliot 7
    Cotteral Elliot 3

Name: James Elliott
    Christening Date: 25 Dec 1833
    Christening Place: BROTTON,YORK,ENGLAND
    Father's Name: Henry Elliott
    Mother's Name: Dorothy
    Alma

A James Elliot(t) who fits with the James on the 1841 census above, was a mariner.

There's a record in this collection on FMP
    Britain, merchant seamen, 1835-1857

FMP's T&C's prevent me from giving you full details.
    Alma

Settling in

Thanks, sorry I left the "Hoods" in - it was a long shot on some similar birthdate I'd seen somewhere that I inserted in the hopes of getting a useful ancestry hint my bad, lol. As far as the Brotton one is concerned I thought it might be relevant because of the Dorothy similarity, but hadn't checked FMP, only Ancestry and CLIPs _ thanks for the heads-up - I'll check it out

Settling in

Default James Elliott, Mariner

I checked out what I presume is the reference; it appears to say that a James Elliott born aged 23 b.in Yorkshire made a trip home in 1856, which fits with the dob I had - but I cant read/don't understand the specific information about the journey, and I don't understand why its indexed 1841. I realise its probably just me being terminally dumb, but can anyone shed light?

Quote Originally Posted by Suekilp View Post
    Thanks, sorry I left the "Hoods" in - it was a long shot on some similar birthdate I'd seen somewhere that I inserted in the hopes of getting a useful ancestry hint my bad, lol. As far as the Brotton one is concerned I thought it might be relevant because of the Dorothy similarity, but hadn't checked FMP, only Ancestry and CLIPs _ thanks for the heads-up - I'll check it out
    That's OK, and thank you for explaining. I now know not to go looking for a Hood ancestor of James'.

Quote Originally Posted by Suekilp View Post
    I checked out what I presume is the reference; it appears to say that a James Elliott born aged 23 b.in Yorkshire made a trip home in 1856, which fits with the dob I had - but I cant read/don't understand the specific information about the journey, and I don't understand why its indexed 1841. I realise its probably just me being terminally dumb, but can anyone shed light?
    I don't know which record you are referring to. The record I mentioned at #3 is for 1851 and mentions his birth town in Yorkshire.

This is the indexed record on FMP, "Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857"
    James Elliott born 1832 Yorkshire, series BT113
    Alma

Settling in

This was why James "Hoods" Elliott
    Name: Henry Elliott
    Birthplace: New Hopper Street
    Sex: Male
    Wife: Mary Elliott
    Son: James Hoods Elliott
    Other information in the record of James Hoods Elliott
    from England Births and Christenings
    Name: James Hoods Elliott
    Residence Place: Bishop-Wearmouth, Durham, England
    Christening Date: 25 Feb 1835
    Christening Date (Original): 25 Feb 1835
    Christening Place: Bishop-Wearmouth, Durham, England
    Father's Name: Henry Elliott
    Father's Birthplace: New Hopper Street
    Mother's Name: Mary Elliott

Settling in

Thanks for that, but I didn't get that ref; the only refs I got in BT113 on FMP were for Down, Renfrewshire and Sussex

Settling in

AS far as James Hoods Elliott was concerned I checked him out because of the North-East connection

Settling in

OK I found it now, thank you so much for that and for being so patient with my fecklessness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast