Thread: HMS Northampton

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default HMS Northampton

Hi All,

I am new here and this is my first post so I hope you will be gentle with me.

I have managed to do a great deal of research on my family history via Ancestry.com and managed to get back to the 1700 is some cases. Recently I came across a series of photos of my mothers ancestors, someone found an old album in a house that was being knocked down and decided to save it rather than let ie be carted away for landfill.

Anyway in the album was a photo of a rather young man in Navy uniform with the cap having a HMS Northampton headband. The trouble is I do not have any idea which member of the extended family he belongs to (or indeed even if he is a family member, I guess he could have been a friends son). I know the ship only had a relatively short career.

Is there anyway I can my hands on a list of the ships compliment at various dates in order for me to check.
    Were navy personnel included in the census records, I assume so, but I cannot find anyway of getting at that info.

Any insight from anyone on this forum would be very welcome.

thanks

QP

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    This is what Wikipedia says about the ship.
    Name - HMS Northampton
    Builder - Robert Napier and Sons, Govan
    Laid down - 26 October 1874
    Launched - 18 November 1876
    Commissioned -1881
    Reclassified - Training ship, June 1894 (hulked as a boys' training ship in 1894)
    Fate - Sold for scrap, 4 April 1905

But there was a second ship
    HMS Northampton was previously HMS Sharpshooter, a torpedo gunboat launched in 1888 and renamed HMS Northampton in 1912 when she was used for harbour service. She was broken up in 1922.

As you say the person in the photograph looks rather young it could indicate he was on the training ship from 1894 onwards. So at least there is a time frame within which to work. But it does only give one census to search, the 1901.

This research guide on The National Archives may be of help.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default HMS Northampton

Many thanks for your quick response. i have been out of the country for a while so only now do I have the time to reply.

I had seen the info on the two ships bearing the name HMS Northampton and i know that some of the photographs that I have managed to acquire date from the early 1870s onwards so that sort of fits in. I will endeavour to attach a photograph of the young man.

As you can see the photograph was taken in S Wales, I wonder if that is where the training ship was based?

QP