Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help finding Perry marriage details

I would like to purchase a copy of my great great grandfather’s marriage certificate from the GRO but am having trouble finding any records that match the details I currently have.

From my great grandfather’s birth certificate, I know that his father, (my great great grandfather), was George William Perry, born 1829 in Kensington, Middlesex and his mother was Martha Perry, formerly Smith, born 1832 also in Kensington, Middlesex. From the 1871 census, they had ten children born between 1852 and 1871. My great grandfather, Walter James Perry was born in 1866.
    I assume that if there was only one marriage, it should have been around 1851.

I have been looking for any marriage details or records for George William Perry and Martha Smith for several months now but cannot find a way forward. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin Perry

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are the details for Martha in the 1861 census the same as in the 1871 census?
    It's not unknown for a man to be widowed and then marry again to someone with the same first name as his first wife. I spotted this with one family because the wife's age was out by about five years and her birthplace was different in two censuses.

Also, have you checked for George marrying any Martha, as Martha could have been a widow when she married George. Although I think her name on any birth certificate should be written as Martha formerly Bloggs nee Smith, in the early days of civil registration not everything was done by the textbook.

Have you confirmed using the GRO's Historical Births Index, that the mother's maiden name for all the children was Smith?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

the eldest child on the 1871 census is Rose, aged 17, is that correct ? I guess you have discounted the George William Perry marring St George, Hanover Sq. district, 3rd quarter 1853, volume 1a, page 424, since it is LOUISA Smith.

Pam,

Thanks for your advice.
    I have looked at the 1861 census but can't find any reliable info.
    I have looked for George marrying any Martha but again can't find anything.

I have not looked at the GRO's birth index yet so that will be my next step.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again, Martin Perry

Yes, Rose Perry is the eldest child. I have looked at George William Perry marring at St George, Hanover Sq. in 1853 but I didn't know he married Louisa Smith. This looks more interesting now!

What web site are you using that allows you to see the wife's maiden name?
    My subscription has just run out and I need to decide which genealogy site to subscribe to.

Thanks for your help, Martin Perry

Famous for offering help & advice

I asked about Rose because 17 in 1871 would be an 1854 birth and you said the oldest was born 1852, though I appreciate ages in censuses are often very inaccurate. Actually I can't find Rose's birth in the GRO birth Index.

I was using FreeBMD for the marriage - and I may be mistaken - the spouse was either Louisa Smith or Elizabeth Harris - I haven't checked further. Unless Martha had a middle name Louisa we probably shouldn't get excited. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    the eldest child on the 1871 census is Rose, aged 17, is that correct ? I guess you have discounted the George William Perry marring St George, Hanover Sq. district, 3rd quarter 1853, volume 1a, page 424, since it is LOUISA Smith.
    That George William Perry is a schoolmaster, age 21
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by MartinPerry View Post
    Yes, Rose Perry is the eldest child.
    Isn't Matilda the eldest child born c1850?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7KM-WQZ

The name is actually PERRY.

Settling in

The same family can be found in Kensington in the 1861 census (RG 9; Piece: 14; Folio: 63; Page: 57)

George (age 31)
    Martha (age 28)
    Matilda (11)
    Rose (8)
    George (6)
    William (4)
    Minnie (2)
    Alice (3 months)

Thanks for this information from the 1861 census. I was unable to locate this information.
    Had no idea that there was a Martha in this family

What web site are you using???
    My subscription has just run out and I need to decide which genealogy site to subscribe with.

Thanks for your help, Martin Perry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast