Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Missing Birth. Stumped?

Hi everyone. So I am trying to trace my maternal Great Grandma, Bridget Kelly. I know from speaking to Mum and checking on free BMD’s that she was born on 18th December 1886, as it says so on her death certificate. It gives the month/s and year her death was registered and her dob.

Her parents were both called Kelly (Mums Maiden name also), Dad was John, not sure on Mums first name, and I thought I had found her so sent for the certificate, but this gives a dob of 6th February, 1886?

I have also found her marriage certificate, so sent for that, so there is always a possibility the year was wrong and will be able to check on that certificate for age.

I have also been on the GRO records and checked every Bridget Kelly born in 1886, and there were about 8, but non whose Mother’s Maiden name was Kelly also.

Is there anything else I can check meanwhile? Mum definitely remembers they had the same birthday.

Also, she has just told me Dad was killed working on the railways, and her Mum and her siblings all ended up in the workhouse. Are there separate records for these people, as I’m also struggling to find them on the 1891 Census anywhere.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

TIA

Addendum

I checked the GRO records and found one Bridget Kelly who parents were John Kelly (correct) and a mother Martha ? Kelly, correct) but dob is Feb 1886 not Dec, but I only knew this after checking the Maiden names given on GRO website. Is it possible anywhere to see the actual dob not the month the birth was registered anywhere before you send for a certificate? TIA

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Addendum

Is it possible anywhere to see the actual dob not the month the birth was registered anywhere before you send for a certificate? TIA
    No.

Also it is not the month the birth was registered in but the quarter.

However, providing you order certificates from the GRO web site you can order a birth certificate and specify that you only want it if it has a specific date of birth on it. You do this as follows:

When it asks “Is the GRO Index Reference Number known?” answer “NO”. You then get presented with a page that allows you to input a specific date of birth.

You will have to pay, but if they can't find one that matches the criteria you get a no quibbles refund.

I know from speaking to Mum and checking on free BMD’s that she was born on 18th December 1886, as it says so on her death certificate. It gives the month/s and year her death was registered and her dob.
    Dates of birth on death certificates are not always reliable, it very much depends on how well the informant knew the deceased.

When/where/to who did Bridget marry? And when/where did she die?

Is this the family you are looking at.
    1891, Warrenby, Coatham, Yorkshire, RG12; Piece: 4001; Folio: 79; Page: 39
    John Kelly 45, ironworks labourer, County Tyrone
    Martha Kelly 34, County Tyrone
    Susann Kelly 12, County Tyrone
    Bernard Kelly 7, Warrenby
    Bridget Kelly 5, Warrenby
    Patrick Kelly 2, Warrenby
    Arthur Mc Carolle 36, lodger, ironworks labourer, Co. Tyrone
    John Longhean 21, lodger, ironworks labourer, Co. Tyrone
    Alma

Some of the same family in 1901, Bridget isn't with them, nor is her father, John.

1901, Coatham. RG13; Piece: 4570; Folio: 141; Page: 62
    Martha Kelly 42, wife of head.
    Susan Kelly 21
    Patrick Kelly 12
    John Kelly 3
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

We need to know where in the country we are talking about. Can you post census details?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Hi everyone. So I am trying to trace my maternal Great Grandma, Bridget Kelly. I know from speaking to Mum and checking on free BMD’s that she was born on 18th December 1886, as it says so on her death certificate. It gives the month/s and year her death was registered and her dob.

Her parents were both called Kelly (Mums Maiden name also), Dad was John, not sure on Mums first name, and I thought I had found her so sent for the certificate, but this gives a dob of 6th February, 1886?

I have also found her marriage certificate, so sent for that, so there is always a possibility the year was wrong and will be able to check on that certificate for age.

I have also been on the GRO records and checked every Bridget Kelly born in 1886, and there were about 8, but non whose Mother’s Maiden name was Kelly also.

Is there anything else I can check meanwhile? Mum definitely remembers they had the same birthday.

Also, she has just told me Dad was killed working on the railways, and her Mum and her siblings all ended up in the workhouse. Are there separate records for these people, as I’m also struggling to find them on the 1891 Census anywhere.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

TIA
    You are doing this all wrong by taking information from a Death Certificate. Information on them is only as good as what the person telling the registrar knows and some time its the wrong information.

We have already gone through this problem with you in your other post regarding buying the wrong birth cert when you have been taking a birth date from a death certificate.

When ordering a birth certificate you need to be sure you know
    1.Mothers Maiden Name
    2. Fathers Name
    3. Fathers Occupation
    4. Possible address where they where living when person was born

Also you do not need to go to The GRO to order your Certificates you can ring the Records Office and speek to someone in person (rather than just ordering through a website) in the place ie Oxford or "any other place" and give them the information you have found on FreeBMD and also tell them what you only want the certificate with the parents names and fathers occupation that you give them, they will charge you for the certificate up front but if they cant find one with the details you have given they will give you a refund.

I did this with the 4 children that I found ordered 5 Birth and 4 Death certificates form Oxfordshire records office that's 9 certificates I paid for. I received 4 Births and 4 Deaths certificates. I they refunded the money as it was not found.

This is the other Post regarding the same issue

Nerjagirl - Wrong Birth Certificate ordered?

Yes, that’s the only one where Bridget is down as daughter and both parents were called Kelly. This is the birth certificate I sent for which gives a birthdate of 6th Feb 1886 and not 18th Dec as Mum remembers and is on her death certificate. Also thank you for the extra information. Mum tells me John Kelly was killed while working on the railway and Mum and siblings ended up on the streets and then the workhouse where Bridget’s Mum died

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Some of the same family in 1901, Bridget isn't with them, nor is her father, John.

1901, Coatham. RG13; Piece: 4570; Folio: 141; Page: 62
    Martha Kelly 42, wife of head.
    Susan Kelly 21
    Patrick Kelly 12
    John Kelly 3

John Kelly and missing children in Ireland Census 1901

Name: John Kelly
    Residence Date: 31 Mar 1901
    Townland/Street: Moboy, District: Killeenan, County: Tyrone
    Household Members:
    Bernard Kelly 18 Son
    Bridget Kelly 15 Daughter