Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thank you for the info, that is so kind of you to do this. However, that person cannot be the one I’m looking for, as Mum remembers Bridget having to go in the Workhouse in Blackburn, Lancashire at around 5 as her father John Kelly was killed working on the Railways and her Mum subsequently died there. Also, if Bridget was born in 1886, as her death notice says, that would make her 15 on the 1901 Census, which those records say is correct, but on the 1911 Census, should she not have been 25? Whereas the record says this was a Bridget at 22 in 1911? But I am so grateful for all your efforts. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Hi thank you for the detailed information for me. However, I only knew part of the information you have detailed when I sent for the birth certificate. I don�t think it�s always possible to know as much as that, but thank you for the info, I have made a note of your post so I can refer back to ito

Growing old Disgracefully

The same apply's to the information on census Records as the information on a Death Certificate.

The information on them is only as good as the person knows.
    So john smith age about (which is what abt stands for as in the 2 census I have given you) 70 thinks his daughter Jane is 26 that's what he tells them when in fact she could only be 24 or even 28.
    People where also sometimes illiterate at that time as well as poor and they didn't have birthdays like we do today.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Hi thank you for the detailed information for me. However, I only knew part of the information you have detailed when I sent for the birth certificate. I don�t think it�s always possible to know as much as that, but thank you for the info, I have made a note of your post so I can refer back to ito
    Its is possible to know all that information you can find them on the census, they are from 1841 every 10 years to 1911 then you have 1939 Register also Electoral Rolls.
    Take a look at your own Birth Certificate see what information is on it and your Marriage Certificate if you are married or your mum's certificates.
    Good Hunting

I am doing some research for a lady, from her name, date of birth, where she was born, her mothers maiden name, the same information about her partner etc when she phoned me after an hour of telling me the details, She was shocked and couldn't believe what I had found out with the little information she had given me, I told her that they had both been married before and divorced there first partners, their names and date of marriage, she was blown away now I have to find her partners brother, same father different mother all I have is his Year of Birth, Christian Name and Mothers Christian Name and they lived on a farm with the mothers parents, and the village where they lived. There are 5 farms in the village so that gives us a start. First we looked for a Christening in the Church Records held at the village church, we are still looking as the actual Church Records have been stolen from the church. So next week we are going to look at Electoral Rolls for the year of birth to see if the mother's name appears on them etc, etc. at the Records Office

Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Hi everyone. So I am trying to trace my maternal Great Grandma, Bridget Kelly. I know from speaking to Mum and checking on free BMD’s that she was born on 18th December 1886, as it says so on her death certificate. It gives the month/s and year her death was registered and her dob.

Her parents were both called Kelly (Mums Maiden name also), Dad was John, not sure on Mums first name, and I thought I had found her so sent for the certificate, but this gives a dob of 6th February, 1886?

I have also found her marriage certificate, so sent for that, so there is always a possibility the year was wrong and will be able to check on that certificate for age.

Also, she has just told me Dad was killed working on the railways, and her Mum and her siblings all ended up in the workhouse. Are there separate records for these people, as I’m also struggling to find them on the 1891 Census anywhere

TIA
    First thing: if you had mentioned on this thread that Bridget's married name was HOGAN, we could have solved this query much earlier.

I picked up her married name from your other thread. https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ficate-ordered

As I see it Bridget was not born 1886, but 1887. As her birth was Dec 1887 it wasn't registered until Jan - Mar qrt 1888.
    KELLY, BRIDGET, Mother's maiden name RILEY
    GRO Reference: 1888 M Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 368

Bridget Hogan is on the 1939 register, these are the details: Bridget Hogan, born 18 Dec 1887. Address, 42, Larkhill Terrace, Blackburn.

I don't think her father's name was John either (where did that info come from?) And where did you get the idea that both her parents had the birth surname Kelly? My research suggests Bridget's father's name was Michael. Who is named as her father on the marriage cert.?

I believe this is Bridget in 1891.
    80, Moor St, Blackburn. Piece: 3395; Folio: 22; Page: 6 (all children born Blackburn)
    Michael Kelly 35, plate layers labourer, born North Wales
    Margaret Kelly 31, North Wales
    Alfred Kelly 8
    Thomas Kelly 7
    Thresa Kelly 5
    Bridget Kelly 4
    John Kelly 2
    Catherine Cafferty 16, lodger.

Blackburn Standard 09 December 1893

Killed on the Railway at Blackburn
    An accident which was attended with fatal results occured near the Bolton Branch Bridge, a little outside Blackburn station, yesterday afternoon. While engaged at work there a plate layer named Michael Kelly, a resident of Larkhill St, Blackburn, was knocked down by the 2.5 train to Bolton, and instantly killed. It is supposed that a strong wind blowing at the time prevented his hearing the approach of the train. He was conveyed home on the goods station ambulance. He leaves a wife, and a large family unprovided for.

More to follow.
    Alma

KELLY, BRIDGET, Mother's maiden name RILEY
    GRO Reference: 1888 M Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 368
    As per 1891 census on my previous post #16 her parents were Michael and Margaret.

Marriages Mar 1881. Holywell 11b 249
    KELLY Michael
    RILEY Margaret

Thomas Hogan's British Army Service Records are on Ancestry. They name his wife as Bridget Kelly, and children .
    John Hogan Child
    Thomas Hogan Child
    Maria Hogan Child
    Margaret Hogan Child
    Alfred Hogan Child
    Address: 21, Moor St Blackburn. Regiment Name: S Bn The King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.
    Marriage Date: 26 May 1908
    Marriage Place: All Saints Blackpool
    Alma

I have closed this thread: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ficate-ordered

Running two threads about the same folks is not only confusing, but can lead to duplicate effort by members. For anyone wishing to help there's some information on the closed thread which isn't on this one, and visa versa.
    Alma

In 1911 Bridget's mother, Margaret was living at 21, Moor St, the same address as entered on Thomas Hogan's Army papers.
    RG14; Piece: 25095; RD 474; ED 2. Margaret snr born Holywell Wales. All others Blackburn
    Margret Kelly 50, widow, 17 children born alive, 5 still living, 11 children have died.
    Marger Kelly 25, reeler cotton mill
    John Kelly 19, carman
    Thomas Kelly 27, general hawker

I wonder where Margaret was in 1891? She's not entered with her family on the census.
    KELLY, MARGARET, MMN RILEY
    GRO Reference: 1887 M Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 355
    Alma

Blackburn Standard 10 September 1892

He Only Got Drunk Twice a Year.
    Michael Kelly (35) labourer, 27, Larkhill, was charged with assaulting his wife Margaret. Prosecutor at first refused to give evidence against her husband, but on being informed that the prisoner would be remanded and kept in gaol, she told how he came to give her a discoloured eye, adding that she provoked him to it. Her husband, she said, was kind to her when he was not in drink. He only got drunk twice a year. - Afine of 10s and costs was imposed.
    Alma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast