Default FMP: MMN on England & Wales Births

I've just noticed this evening that FMP have added Mother's Maiden Name to some birth registrations pre 1912. The two I looked at were for 1870's and the record heading says "Record Transcription: England & Wales Births 1837-2006"

I haven't looked into it further to get an idea how many. Presumably they've taken MMN from the GRO site.
    Alma

Just looked at my father's birth registration 1909, and his MMN is there. Am I behind, has MMN been added a while ago?
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's been there for a few weeks, though it might still be a work in progress. My great-grandfather's birth in 1843 doesn't have his MMN.
    I've forgotten where I first saw it mentioned. I thought it might have been in a Lost Cousins newsletter, but I can't see it in the last few, so I'm now thinking it must have been someone on BG who said about it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

How do they do it if the MMM is not on the birth certificate? Can it be trusted?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Lesley, FMP are obviously taking it from the GRO's Historical Births and Deaths index, though I don't know if they're started to include age at death from 1837-1866 yet.
    They might have paid the GRO to have computer access which would make it quicker for them to add it to the database.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It's been there for a few weeks, though it might still be a work in progress. My great-grandfather's birth in 1843 doesn't have his MMN.
    I've forgotten where I first saw it mentioned. I thought it might have been in a Lost Cousins newsletter, but I can't see it in the last few, so I'm now thinking it must have been someone on BG who said about it.

Pam
    As I suspected, I'm late again!
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    How do they do it if the MMM is not on the birth certificate? Can it be trusted?
    I wondered about that, Lesley, however the ones I looked at were the same MMN as on the GRO site.
    Alma