Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joy A Card

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Is there a way to get a copy of the birth certificate to you. As you can tell I'm not really au fait with computers

Famous for offering help & advice

I've PM'd you.

Jan has sent me the image, which is certainly clear enough in stating Clara Tomlin formerly Joy A Card, although it's interesting that her occupation of Box Maker is the same as Clara Fane Joy when she married Thomas Widdowerson Tomlin in 1894.

I wonder if this could be Clara in 1911 - wrong forename, but age, place of birth & occupation all fit. No sign of Joy though.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X756-MVH

I think these days we would call that 'a cardboard box maker' (which I now see is exactly what it says in the familysearch record)

I read that as 'Tomlin formerly Joy, a card box maker'. A box for cards or a box made of card (am I stating the obvious ? )

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Jan has sent me the image, which is certainly clear enough in stating Clara Tomlin formerly Joy A Card, although it's interesting that her occupation of Box Maker is the same as Clara Fane Joy when she married Thomas Widdowerson Tomlin in 1894.

Jan, I apologise for not responding to your PM asking me to upload the birth certificate to your thread, I have been out for most of the day, however I see Jomot very kindly has done that for you. Thank you, Jomot

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I wonder if this could be Clara in 1911 - wrong forename, but age, place of birth & occupation all fit. No sign of Joy though.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X756-MVH
    I'd say that is most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I think these days we would call that 'a cardboard box maker' (which I now see is exactly what it says in the familysearch record)

I read that as 'Tomlin formerly Joy, a card box maker'. A box for cards or a box made of card (am I stating the obvious ? )
    That's how I interpret it too, wimsey.
    Alma

Yes, I think you’re both correct about ‘Formerly Joy, a Card Box Maker. I was so busy cropping & uploading I didn’t take the time to study it properly. Just goes to show that the more eyes the better!

I've also been pondering on Post #6 where George Lohman Tomlin’s mother is stated to be Elizabeth Markham and I may have the answer.

There is an outward passenger list for John Tomlin, Boot Operative aged 34 arriving in Canada 23 Aug 1907 aboard the Virginian. Destination Hamilton, Ontario.

Also a passenger list in 1909 for George Tomlin aged 15, again aboard the Virginian and heading for his father in Hamilton, Ontario.

Then the 1911 census for Hamilton has this:

Elizabeth Sculthorpe Head Married age 40 Born Mar 1871. Immigrated 1887?
    John Tomlin Lodger Married age 39 Born Jan 1872. Immigrated 1907. Cutter at a Shoe Factory
    George Tomlin Lodger aged 16 Born Dec 1895. Immigrated 1909
    Grace Tomlin Lodger aged 14 Born Sep 1897. Immigrated 1911
    Freddie Tomlin aged 6 Born Oct 1905. Immigrated 1911

There is a marriage in 1887 at Bethnal Green between Frederick John Alexander Sculthorpe & Elizabeth Maria Markham. In 1901 Fred[erick] & Elizabeth are in Hamilton, Ontario, but in 1909 Frederick travels to Michigan and the 1910 census appears to show him in Chicago with a much younger wife (Jane Elizabeth) and a 4 year old daughter.

I haven't checked yet whether John Tomlin & Elizabeth Sculthorpe nee Markham ever married, but by 1921 John has a wife named Elizabeth.

very impressive sleuthing !

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Joy A Card

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    very impressive sleuthing !
    I can,t thank you all enough, I have been struggling for months to try and work this out and within a couple of days you have given me all this information. I am very impressed. I never dreamed it would lead me to Canada,

Many thanks everyone.

Jan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

You were very helpful with the riddle of Joy A Card but I now cannot find a birth or marriage for Clara Jane Joy . Any help would be very much appreciated. Also is it possible to trace any school record for Joy Tomlin as she is not shown on 1911 census

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast