Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Christina. Finally worked it out. Never realized if I click on “Page” it gives me spouse. Thank you thank you thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Thank you everybody for all your kind help. Still not sure if I have the right birth certificate or not. Need to find Gt Grandma’s Marriage certificate, as that might tell me what her parents were called, but I do know her parents didn’t approve of her marriage and she was only about 16 when she got married, and her husband was a few years older, as far as Mum remembers, but come up against a brick wall with her family.

This was the only Bridget Kelly I found on the 1991 Census who was 5 at the time (b 1886) but on death certificate says same birth date as Mum 18/12/1886, but when birth certificate came, it says she was born 18th Feb 1886?

Can’t find a marriage certificate for a Bridget Kelly to a Thomas Hogan at all, but her first son (my Grandad) was born in Blackburn Lancashire in April of 1910.

Is it time to join a subscription service, and if so, any recommendations at this stage in my search? Just don’t know what to do next. Been searching freesearch and free BMD’s

TIA
    I was getting myself confused here, as I keep thinking 1901, but you mean 1891, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerjagirl View Post
    Yes I am getting my certificates from gro, thanks to you lovely people.
    So checking free BMD’s again, I find a Bridget Kelly Marriage certificate in the Fylde area (where she had all her children) but it doesn’t give the spouse surname, and when I search for a Thomas Kelly for the same date range, it doesn’t come up with this marriage in the fylde for him, so presumably this Bridget Kelly didn’t marry a Hogan? I feel like there are so many coincidences and don’t know how to tie them all together. How can I find out who this Bridget Kelly married? Join a subscription as I said before, but which one do you guys recommend. Was thinking of buying Family Historian latest version, and they seem to be all tied to subscription services, as I didn’t want to post my family tree on a public platform. Really confused right now?
    I'm certain that with virtually all of the family tree programs there is an option to upload your tree to a subscription site (usually Ancestry). Other people who have programs such as RootsMagic (the only one other than Family Historian I can think of off the top of my head!) will be able to advise you better.

With both subscription sites and family tree programmes, there is no 'best'. With the sites, it's which has the records you need most. With the tree program, it's which you find the easiest to use.

Your local library might have free access to Findmypast or Ancestry, so you can 'experiment' there for a while. Otherwise they both offer free trials for a fortnight but make sure you untick the 'auto renew' box as well as actually telling them not to renew, else you might find your bank balance slightly depleted.
    With them both you can take out a monthly sub, and with FMP there's also the option of 'Pay as you go' if you only want to view one or two particular records. Though as the difference isn't a lot you might as well splash out on a month's sub.
    Both FMP and Ancestry have the census, the 1939 Register and the GRO Index after 1983 (FMP to September 2007, Ancestry to 2005). The major difference is in which county records they hold, and which are just transcriptions and which are actual images.

I think most of the family tree programs offer trial periods too, though you can't access all the bells-and-whistles bits that you get in the full version. e.g. adding photos. Tribal Pages offer a free program, and you can upgrade to one with more features (e.g. add photos) but that fee is payable every year, though obviously you could downgrade if you wanted to.
    Trying searching for 'Family tree programs comparison' and you should find a list which will tell you the main features of each program.

Pam.

Growing old Disgracefully

Ancestry you have the options of keeping your tree information Private which I do or public when others can see what you have.

FreeBMD will give you information and Mothers Maden Name for births after 1912 but before that date you can go to GRO website register with them its free (This is the site you order your Certificates from) log in you will see Search the GRO Indexes. If you have found a birth on FreeBMD input the details and you will find it gives you Mothers Madien Name if they cane find it. One way of checking if you know who parents are with out getting a marriage cert.

You guys are utterly awesome. Thank you everyone for your help. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without y’all. Going to read all this info again as it’s a mine of information for me. Thank you, all of you for your unfailingly generous advice. My heart is full of gratitude

Growing old Disgracefully

This has been posted again

I am closing this thread, as there's two threads running regarding the same people and it has become confusing. This is the link to the other live thread. https://www.british-genealogy.com/se...archid=6601649

I'll post a link to this thread on the other one so members can see the information gathered here.
    Alma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12