Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

The solicitors' papers might have been deposited at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. Alternatively, they may know how the firm was subsumed into another one, and be a help if you still need that info. pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Is this your bloke?
    Hi Christanel.

Yes, but I have this information, thanks. I was trying to get his death certificate but I now suspect that he didn't die in the UK.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Partly following on from arthurk's post #2 I found this
    I found this https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ecorded-abroad
    but from what I can see it would depend on the death being recorded at the British Consulate.

Pam
    I tried the GRO again but the agent told me on the phone that there was no record under Goa. She kindly advised that there was an entry on FindMyPast and that I could get the GRO reference from there and phone back (). I checked the FindMyPast entry and it was based on the Wilmington Millenium data ().

I've checked online for an obituary and Blackpool Newspaper articles (he was a prominent businessman there at one time), but found nothing. I'll continue my quest

Famous for offering help & advice

In theory my local library offers access to recent newspapers from a home computer, but something's not working properly at present. Maybe yours would be better?

Meanwhile, I've found a couple of things, though you might already have them.

A letter in the Blackpool Gazette on 14 Feb 2007, written from Goa, which suggests he was no longer living in Blackpool: https://www.
    blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/your-say/letters-february-14-1-406116

Notice in the London Gazette about his estate (giving an address in Blackpool):
    https://www.
    thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-58533-406294
    I wonder if this might be the source of the Wilmington Millenium data?

(Incidentally, recent GRO indexes are available only at a few large libraries dotted around the country, so even if he did die in England, we wouldn't be able to find it online.)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for taking the time to look, Arthur.

I'd already found the letter and had originally assumed that he had returned to Blackpool soon after writing the letter but changed my mind when you said that 'domiciled' in England & Wales doesn't necessarily mean they lived in England/Wales.

It's possible that the London Gazette is the original source of the Wilmington Millenium data although it doesn't include age or year of birth (that the W.M. data does).

Yes - I wasn't really expecting to find an online index for such a recent death.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12