Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Uniform Identification Help.

Hi all,

New to this website but wondering if anyone could help me identify this uniform of an unknown relative of mine. Might help me in my search to find out who it is. Hopefully you can make out enough details on the photograph.

Thanks so much,

Alex.

I've had a play with Photoshop (other editors are available), it's not an enormous improvement but you can see a little more detail. I THINK that's gloves in his right hand, and a swagger stick in his left (a sword is unlikely since there's no connection to his belt). That belt buckle might be useful as his cap badge can't be clarified.

Is this from WW1? Or earlier? I have an idea that cap's 19th century...

The sleeves are different, but look at the general style of the rest of the uniform HERE.

I don't think that your guy was an MP - that's very clearly indicated on the white band on the other guy's sleeve, but this pic is dated as 1901, which might suggest Anglo-Boer War.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the help Lesley. I’ve not a clue when the photo was taken as I don’t have the original unfortunately but was just wondering if it was possible to put an approximate date and or service (army, police or military) to the uniform as it’s quite peculiar and unique.

I think you’re dead right about him having gloves in his right hand. Do the gloves and cane mean anything of significance?

You never know what details might be useful. Gloves & stick suggest, to me (without much evidence) either an NCO ( but where are the rank indicators on his sleeves?) or a young officer. That uniform in the link I gave you is very similar in its cap, belt, jacket cut, etc, which gives a very rough date of 1901. As I said, the Anglo-Boer War comes to mind, although the British army was all over the place at the end of the 19th century.

Definitely army. If it’s a Guards regiment, the number and arrangement of the buttons on his tunic are diagnostic.

If you have any men of about the right age on your tree, have a look for them on the 1891 and 1901 census - some may actually give military occupations.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for all the info Lesley. Will try and have a look!

Starting to feel at home

I think it is a police uniform and most likely Royal Irish Constabulary. There is a photograph on line, that can be found with a quick search, that seems to be taken in exactly the same studio and with exactly the same pose. Perhaps the same man!!
    Gill

Perhaps you could give us the url, Gill? Just break it with a return in the middle if it's a commercial site.
    The photo I referred to in #3 has a white band on one sleeve saying police...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Starting to feel at home

Alex has posted the photograph that I saw. I notice he is holding his gloves differently so probably not the same man. The photographer was J F Church at the Curragh Camp, Kildare. The date apparently is about 1885.
    Gill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast