Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HENRY WILSON - HELP PLEASE - PARENTS????

Hello, please can anyone advise. Feeling pretty useless at all this family tree stuff at the moment . I'm trying to start up a tree from scratch and have been previously referencing a tree made by someone else who they've kindly allowed me to refer to.
    Unfortunately in the last few days, a few spanners have come in the works.

Ancestry put a 'hint' which lead me to another tree... This tree showed a person, then their father, but then a DIFFERENT set of parents...which lead to an entirely different two branches of family tree.

And now today, it has happened again, for the same person, a different set of parents and different set of family trees. I am feeling jinxed with all my research at the moment. Please can anyone advise how I find out the correct info to proceed with my tree (wondering if I have to purchase a birth / wedding cert but worried I might then start a chain of needing to buy more and can't afford all that at the moment).

It appears that there may have been two/three Wilson families living the Hull / Sculcoates area and had sons called Henry of similar ages (though there seems to be conflicting info about birthplaces too??)

Person in question is this: Henry WILSON
    DEATH 30 APR 1917 • Étrun, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France

I'm leaving the birth blank for now as I'm now worried that we might have the details for the wrong Henry

Any help gratefully appreciated, thank you

Hi
    Don't panic! There are lots of people here willing to help you sort it out.
    Some of us don't have an ancestry sub so can't go looking at others trees and anyway as you have found some of them can be very unreliable and ALWAYS need to have their sources checked out.
    What we need to know is the ancestors you are absolutely sure are yours. So you have worked back from yourself, your parents, your grandparents?
    Can you give us full names, birth dates and place/ death dates and place for those who have died (we can't name living people on the forum) then we can work out how you got back to Henry who died in France. Do you have his date and place of birth?
    I am sure others will be along to ask more questions and offer advice.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I agree with Chris. You can’t always rely on the trees that other people publish on line - some are very good but often there’s no way to tell which are good and which are not. Anyway, it’s much more fun to do your own research! You can get a real high from finding someone you’ve been hunting for ages.
    I tend to treat trees from people I don’t know as “grey data” - possibly a clue, but not something to go into my tree until I have checked it.

Growing old Disgracefully

I have Ancestry when I get hints that other people have the same names as me I look to see what sources they have if they have more sources than they have records it means the have taken/connected to Ancestry other peoples trees ie 8 sources and 7 records so thats a nonono for me Plus my trees are private.

Did he marry Harriet Swannack in Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding 1900.

Is this your man
    Name: Henry Wilson
    Birth Date: abt 1876
    Death Date: 30 Apr 1917
    Cemetery: Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun
    Burial Country: France
    Father: Charles Wilson
    Mother: Mary Ann Wilson
    Regiment: Royal Naval
    Regimental Number: Tyneside/Z/8013
    Region or Memorial: France

I am now confused as well names of Children taken from the 1881 Census

Charles Wilson 48 Father, Mary Ann Wilson 46 Mother
    Harriet Thompson 24 Daughter MMN is Barnett
    Mary Ann Wilson 12 Daughter MMN is Hirst (Mary Ann Neave)
    Charles Wilson 9 Son MMN is Wilson
    Henry Wilson 5 Son MMN Wilkinson
    William Wilson 2 Son MMN Hirst

First I looked for the births on FreeBMD then checked for MMN on GRO

Could they have been adopting these children

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    I am now confused as well names of Children taken from the 1881 Census

Charles Wilson 48 Father, Mary Ann Wilson 46 Mother
    Harriet Thompson 24 Daughter MMN is Barnett
    Mary Ann Wilson 12 Daughter MMN is Hirst (Mary Ann Neave)
    Charles Wilson 9 Son MMN is Wilson
    Henry Wilson 5 Son MMN Wilkinson

William Wilson 2 Son MMN Hirst
    These are not the correct births. Search for WILSON births with mmn as HIRST/HURST and you will find them. Harriet was Mary Ann's daughter from her first marriage and her surname was KNAPP.

Name Charles WILSON
    Spouse's Name Mary Ann KNAPP
    Event Date 09 Sep 1867
    Event Place Hull, York, England
    Father's Name William WILSON
    Spouse's Father's Name Jonathan HURST
    Marital Status Single
    Spouse's Marital Status Widowed

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NN3C-6YC

Quote Originally Posted by wilssearch View Post
    ......wondering if I have to purchase a birth / wedding cert but worried I might then start a chain of needing to buy more and can't afford all that at the moment.
    The chain is what it is all about and should not be avoided if you want to compile an accurate family tree. There are free sites such as FamilySearch and you may be able to access the subscription sites free of charge at your local library. If you find online family trees which you think are relevant then ask them if they already have the certificates and are willing to share a copy. There are plenty of people on forums such as this one who may be able to look up records for you, some of which may not be available online.

WILSON is a very common surname and that always makes it a little harder.

Person in question is this: Henry WILSON
    DEATH 30 APR 1917 • Étrun, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France

I'm leaving the birth blank for now as I'm now worried that we might have the details for the wrong Henry
    There's two conflicting birth dates for Henry, though both state 25th Sept, one has 1877, the other 1876.
    British Army and Navy Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1730-1960
    Name: Henry Wilson
    Event: Death
    Birth Date: 25 Sep 1877
    Death Date: 30 Apr 1917
    Death Age: 39

So as a start we need to find a birth for 25th Sept 1876/7. With parents Charles and Mary Ann Wilson.
    Alma

Dundee10

After looking at some online records on FMP (their T&C's don't allow us to post details), I am in agreeance with Dundee. Charles Wilson married Mary Ann Knapp (a widow), born Hirst.

WILSON, HENRY, Mother's maiden name HIRST
    GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in SCULCOATES Volume 09D Page 168
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast