Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

All the above assumes that the truth of marital status was told. My great grandmother had four children. The first was born in wedlock and has the appropriate certificate. The daughter born next has no father's name and mother's name given is her married name. Third child was a boy who has the certificate appropriate for a child born in wedlock but the named father ( her husband)was then deceased at least 5 years. The 4th child has no father's name and no mother' maiden name, just the married name of the mother. So, I needed all 4 certificates to know the actual maiden name of my great grandmother; my grandmother, the 4th child had no useful information on her certificate. Short cuts using indexes only can be dangerous to accurate family trees. pwholt
    Last edited by pwholt; 08-08-2018 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add bit

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    The daughter born next has no father's name and mother's name given is her married name.
    Can you clarify? Would I be any the wiser sending for the birth certificate?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

If it is important to you to know, then I suggest you use the GRO site and order a PDF version of the certificate. It will come in a few days and will save you £3 over the full certificate. You will then have the information. However, I believe the PDF version is not suitable for legal purposes. If that needs to be considered, then go for the full certificate at£9.50 (or whatever it is currently.) pwholt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123