Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Bristol Archives Records

Does anyone have access to Bristol Archives Records? I am looking for the birth/baptisms and parents of -

Joshua Cains born about 1700 in Bitton. Presumed father Henry Cains and mother Mary Beratt

Samuel Cains born about 1712/16 in Bitton. Presumed parents Henry Caines and mother Ann Signey

(Names spelt Caines, Cains, Caynes, Kaynes, etc.)

I am in Australia so unable to check these personally.

I have tried every other possible source for these records with no luck. There are many gaps in the usual sources for the period about 1674 - 1754.

Mary

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If there are sources online for Bitton for some years between1674-1754 then it's likely that the gaps exist because the registers have been lost.
    I presume you're basing your request on the details given in the parish registers handlist found via this link.
    https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Parishes.aspx
    If so, virtually the first paragraph says the dates given are covering dates and there may be gaps.

I would suggest you send Bristol Archives an email explaining that you're in Australia so can't visit the archives personally so would it be possible for them to confirm if the registers (both PRs and/or BTs) exist for Bitton for the period 1700 - 1717.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Bristol Archives Records

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    If there are sources online for Bitton for some years between1674-1754 then it's likely that the gaps exist because the registers have been lost.
    I presume you're basing your request on the details given in the parish registers handlist found via this link.
    https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Parishes.aspx
    If so, virtually the first paragraph says the dates given are covering dates and there may be gaps.

I would suggest you send Bristol Archives an email explaining that you're in Australia so can't visit the archives personally so would it be possible for them to confirm if the registers (both PRs and/or BTs) exist for Bitton for the period 1700 - 1717.

Pam

Thank you Pam

The Gloucestershire Archives have some Parish Transcripts for Baptisms but only for 1572-1674.
    Their site states that the registers for Bitton are held at Bristol Archives - Baptisms: 1572-1999
    Bristol Archives have Records of the Anglican parish of St Mary, Bitton Date 1642 – 2005

Several children from Bitton were christened at Bristol P & J - records are also covered by Bristol Archives

I will take your advice and email them.
    Thanks
    Mary

Have you checked to see what your local LDS have? In the 20th century, they put an enormous amount of work into filming all sorts of records in cooperation with the archives involved. I have always found them very useful. Also, the relevant FHS may be able to help, if only to tell you what has/hasn’t survived. Their contact details should be on GENUKI.org.

Been meaning to check this ever since Lesley mentioned FamilySearch.
    From what I can see in the FamilySearch catalog PRs for Bitton in the early 1700s do exist.

Baptisms 1572-1674, marriages 1571-1674, and burials 1572-1670 on film number 4255053

Baptisms 1681-1720, marriages 1679-1719, burials 1678-1721 on film number 4255058

Baptisms 1721-1781, marriages 1723-1754, burials 1721-1778 on film number 4255062.

The PR images can be viewed at any LDS Family History Centre/Centers.

If you don't know if you have a FHC local to you, check out the locations here.
    https://www.familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Forgot to add that the implication when I searched the Catalog is that the registers have been indexed, and the indexes have been uploaded to the FamilySearch site.
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/search
    Just start typing Bitton into the placename box, select the Gloucestershire option, press search. Select church records, and you should want the seventh option.
    See the bit in red which has a link at the top of the page.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Been meaning to check this ever since Lesley mentioned FamilySearch.
    From what I can see in the FamilySearch catalog PRs for Bitton in the early 1700s do exist.

Baptisms 1572-1674, marriages 1571-1674, and burials 1572-1670 on film number 4255053

Baptisms 1681-1720, marriages 1679-1719, burials 1678-1721 on film number 4255058

Baptisms 1721-1781, marriages 1723-1754, burials 1721-1778 on film number 4255062.

The PR images can be viewed at any LDS Family History Centre/Centers.

If you don't know if you have a FHC local to you, check out the locations here.
    https://www.familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Forgot to add that the implication when I searched the Catalog is that the registers have been indexed, and the indexes have been uploaded to the FamilySearch site.
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/search
    Just start typing Bitton into the placename box, select the Gloucestershire option, press search. Select church records, and you should want the seventh option.
    See the bit in red which has a link at the top of the page.

Pam
    Thank you Pam

I will contact my nearest FHS to check if they do have or are able to order the records and hopefully they will have what I want.

Mary

Do remember that not all registers survived to get to the LDS scanners... There’s all sorts of reasons - eg acid ink (gradually eats the paper), fire & flood, theft, etc. if you don’t find a set of records, check sites like GENUKI which generally list surviving records. I also look for other entries using generic names - eg can you find any baptisms or marriages for Smith or Jones in that place or time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    Thank you Pam

I will contact my nearest FHS to check if they do have or are able to order the records and hopefully they will have what I want.

Mary
    I hope you mean FHC and not FHS, the latter (Family History Society) being a completely different animal to the LDS FH Centre/Center.

Things changed a couple of years ago and you no longer order in films to view; some films are now available via your home computer or most of the others (e.g. Bitton) can be viewed on a computer at an FHC. Obviously, it would be advisable to book a computer before you visit.

Pam

Yes, I did mean FHC! I did go to the local one some years ago when I had to order films but didn't realise their system had changed. They are only open at certain times so will phone them and hope they will have the records.

Mary

The Bitton registers are available on computer at the FHCs. I can access them at home to the point where it says I need to sign in as either a member of the LDS Church or else go to a FHC. Can't remember which buttons I pressed and can't check as I'm rushing to go out.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast