Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Birth & Death Certificates

Can anyone tell me if a child who passed not long after being born in hospital in 1949 would they have certificates of birth and death registered at the GRO.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If a child is born alive, even if they live for only a few minutes, there should be a birth certificate as well as a death certificate. If a child is stillborn, there will be an entry in the stillborn register, and only parents and siblings can apply for a copy of that certificate.

Children who don't live for very long may not be given a name, so could appear in the GRO Index as just 'male Bloggs' or 'female Bloggs'.
    The advantage with births like this after 1912 is that the mother's maiden name is shown in the Index, so you should be able to find both births quite easily.

Pam

Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

i think my mum said her younger brothers twin James Micheal was alive for a few hours i have sent for a birth certificate hopefully it's found

While you're waiting, if you don't have access to the likes of FMP or Ancestry, you could checkout FreeBMD for both the birth and death registration. FreeBMD is still a work in progress, but the vast majority of records up to 1970 have been transcribed. (Too lazy to check for the 1970s. )
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    If you don't know the registration district a particular place is in, have a look here.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/places/index.html

Otherwise, if you see a likely registration on FreeBMD, click on the name of the registration district and you'll get a link to the place names in that district. District names and places in each district are subject to change over time but full details are given in the link - either in the grid of placenames, or else at the top of the page for the registration district.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Ancestry found James twin Thomas birth index but nothing for James i did find a death index tho but no birth

Name Thomas W Hurst
    Registration Date 1949
    Registration district Salford
    Inferred County Greater Manchester
    Re-registration Year 1949
    Mother's Maiden Name Paine
    Volume Number 10f
    Page number 763
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Thomas W Hurst

Name James Hurst
    Death Age 0
    Birth Date abt 1949
    Registration Date Jun 1949
    Registration district Manchester
    Inferred County Lancashire
    Volume 10e
    Page 426
    Household Members
    Name Age
    James Hurst

The James and Thomas you've quoted are not the same family.
    Thomas' birth was registered in December quarter 1949.
    James died June quarter 1949, i.e. before Thomas was born.
    I suspect that's the James, birth registered June quarter 1949, mother's maiden name Bradshaw.
    James' registrations were in Manchester registration district. Thomas' birth was in Salford.

It looks as if yourJames may have been stillborn, because the only Hurst birth registration I can find in Salford registration district in the whole of 1949 is Thomas'.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

that might explain why not being able to find any record online if stillborn we don't know if he was buried/cremated and where as my grandparents never said anything to my mum and if they did it went with her when she passed away

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi jen1302......On www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk there is a record as follows...James Hurst/Buried 30/05/1949/ Philips Park Cemetery/ Grave No 1157 (Consecrated). The grave is a mixed one ie lots of unrelated people in it. I don't have any credits to look at the other details on the site. But it seems to fit with your James Hurst. It is free to access this site. You only have to pay if you want to look at the details for the burial.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Hi jen1302......On www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk there is a record as follows...James Hurst/Buried 30/05/1949/ Philips Park Cemetery/ Grave No 1157 (Consecrated). The grave is a mixed one ie lots of unrelated people in it. I don't have any credits to look at the other details on the site. But it seems to fit with your James Hurst. It is free to access this site. You only have to pay if you want to look at the details for the burial.
    Thank you Pat iv'e tried to register not letting me pass registration i will pop in to Philips Park Cemetery when i visit my dad in Salford on 22nd this month with the details you gave me.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jen1302 View Post
    Thank you Pat iv'e tried to register not letting me pass registration i will pop in to Philips Park Cemetery when i visit my dad in Salford on 22nd this month with the details you gave me.
    Also, on Lancs BMD the following info. Birth 1949/ James Hurst/ Crumpsall Hospital/ Ref CRU/48/23.
    Birth 1949 Thomas Hurst/ Crumpsall Hospital/ Ref CRU/46/75.

As you can see from the Ref numbers these two births are on different pages, so not twins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast