Default Help identify uniform and 3/1st T.F

Afternoon all,

I have a query about the following pictures of my GG Thomas William Renner B. 1892 in Northumberland and who served during the War with the 16th Royal Scots. I know this from a Bible and Tam 'O' Shanter marked with his service number in my possession which matches his MIC and various other medal rolls.

The obvious thing is the that the uniform he is wearing in the pictures are not that of the Royal Scots and seems to me to be the ASC which I know his younger brother served in during the War but saw no overseas service.

I have searched all the usual places for service records and none exist and all references point to the RS. I did however find one partial document titled

Nominal Roll of Men of 3/1st Northumbrian Divisional Train(T.F) and posted to No.1 Reserve Horse Transport Depot, Park Royal

This shows a T Renner with rank of Dr. and T.F No. T/2250 with his new A.S.C No. T/4/210470

I have had it suggested that at some point he transferred to the RS but have no evidence to back this up other than the photos. I must add that the photos were in the possession of my Grandad and members of his Uncles family so it is certainly him.

Does anyone have any theories or who can positively identify the uniform or perhaps knows anything about the 3/1st T.F or No.1 Reserve Horse Depot?

Thanks everyone

Gaz

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Hat badge looks like ASC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Army_Service_Corps
    Without his service record it is just all speculation.
    Do either of the photos have a date on them?
    Are they 100% certain it is not the younger brother?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi Robert,

yeah definitely not the brother, i have attached a picture of him in uniform and one of them both at my GG wedding in 1924.

No dates on the photos I posted previously (both postcards) but one has... to J.H Bayley, Ripon ...in the bottom corner

alas, probably never know for certain.

Thanks

Gaz