Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Cornelius Gibbons b1836

I have a Cornelius Gibbons born 1836 that is living in Tasmania, earliest record found is 1859. He married Jane Pearmain in 1862 at Port Sorell, they had 11 children. Cornelius died 22 Sep 1904, Don, Tasmania. The problem I have is that I have no idea where he was born or when he entered the country.
    One clue is that there is a prisoner in Liverpool Borough Prison according to the 1851 census.
    Cornelius Gibbons, Age 14, Unmarried, Dock Labourer, Birth Year (Estimated) 1837, Birthplace Ireland.
    Apparently the records for Liverpool Borough Prison are in Liverpool archives which I am unable to access.
    Any information on this Cornelius or any other that may fit the profile would be very helpful. Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

May get a lead here.
    https://convictrecords.com.au/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

He's not on any convict records.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Cornelius Gibbons does not appear in the Criminal Registers in the 1840s or 1850s, and certainly there is no one of that name transported at that time. In 1867 a man of that name was sentenced to 2 years in prison in London having a previous conviction. I think it is the same person as the one in the 1851 census as he can found in London in the 1861 census married with a son.

From time to time archives do deals with the big genealogy sites and records get digitised and put on line so its always worth checking their catalogues or the archive's own catalogue to see what has been put on line.

There's a Cornelius Gibbons, coal porter, who was done for coal stealing in 1867 in London, together with another man. It seems to have been a long-term fiddle. Can't find the trial report, just the remand report.

Famous for offering help & advice

there seem to be two Cornelius Gibbons born in Ireland about the same time. Another marries a Bridget and emigrates to America.

I seem to have more luck with the wife of the correct Cornelius. An April 1918 Australian newspaper article about the golden wedding anniversary of Jane Pearmain's sister Elizabeth (Mrs Alfred Chatwin) says that the two sisters arrived in Devonport, Tasmania in August 1857 on the ship 'Southern Eagle'. The article says they were the only two members of the Pearmain (the newspaper's spelling) family to emigrate and that they came from Scarborough, Yorkshire.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There's a Cornelius Gibbons, coal porter, who was done for coal stealing in 1867 in London, together with another man. It seems to have been a long-term fiddle. Can't find the trial report, just the remand report.
    My Cornelius was in Tasmania in 1859 working as a servant for a Robert Jones.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    there seem to be two Cornelius Gibbons born in Ireland about the same time. Another marries a Bridget and emigrates to America.

I seem to have more luck with the wife of the correct Cornelius. An April 1918 Australian newspaper article about the golden wedding anniversary of Jane Pearmain's sister Elizabeth (Mrs Alfred Chatwin) says that the two sisters arrived in Devonport, Tasmania in August 1857 on the ship 'Southern Eagle'. The article says they were the only two members of the Pearmain (the newspaper's spelling) family to emigrate and that they came from Scarborough, Yorkshire.
    Hi, No problems with Jane, I've got all her history from birth to death.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Cornelius Gibbons does not appear in the Criminal Registers in the 1840s or 1850s, and certainly there is no one of that name transported at that time. In 1867 a man of that name was sentenced to 2 years in prison in London having a previous conviction. I think it is the same person as the one in the 1851 census as he can found in London in the 1861 census married with a son.

From time to time archives do deals with the big genealogy sites and records get digitised and put on line so its always worth checking their catalogues or the archive's own catalogue to see what has been put on line.
    Thank you Megan, I found the 1861 Cornelius but was'nt sure if it was the same man.