+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Cornelius Gibbons b1836

    I have a Cornelius Gibbons born 1836 that is living in Tasmania, earliest record found is 1859. He married Jane Pearmain in 1862 at Port Sorell, they had 11 children. Cornelius died 22 Sep 1904, Don, Tasmania. The problem I have is that I have no idea where he was born or when he entered the country.
    One clue is that there is a prisoner in Liverpool Borough Prison according to the 1851 census.
    Cornelius Gibbons, Age 14, Unmarried, Dock Labourer, Birth Year (Estimated) 1837, Birthplace Ireland.
    Apparently the records for Liverpool Borough Prison are in Liverpool archives which I am unable to access.
    Any information on this Cornelius or any other that may fit the profile would be very helpful. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Perth,Western Australia,Australia
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 102 Times in 91 Posts

    Default

    May get a lead here.
    https://convictrecords.com.au/

  3. #3
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    He's not on any convict records.

  4. #4
    Brick wall demolition expert!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,752
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 965 Posts

    Default

    Cornelius Gibbons does not appear in the Criminal Registers in the 1840s or 1850s, and certainly there is no one of that name transported at that time. In 1867 a man of that name was sentenced to 2 years in prison in London having a previous conviction. I think it is the same person as the one in the 1851 census as he can found in London in the 1861 census married with a son.

    From time to time archives do deals with the big genealogy sites and records get digitised and put on line so its always worth checking their catalogues or the archive's own catalogue to see what has been put on line.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,455
    Thanks
    664
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default

    There's a Cornelius Gibbons, coal porter, who was done for coal stealing in 1867 in London, together with another man. It seems to have been a long-term fiddle. Can't find the trial report, just the remand report.

  6. #6
    Knowledgeable and helpful
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    675
    Thanks
    316
    Thanked 184 Times in 165 Posts

    Default

    there seem to be two Cornelius Gibbons born in Ireland about the same time. Another marries a Bridget and emigrates to America.

    I seem to have more luck with the wife of the correct Cornelius. An April 1918 Australian newspaper article about the golden wedding anniversary of Jane Pearmain's sister Elizabeth (Mrs Alfred Chatwin) says that the two sisters arrived in Devonport, Tasmania in August 1857 on the ship 'Southern Eagle'. The article says they were the only two members of the Pearmain (the newspaper's spelling) family to emigrate and that they came from Scarborough, Yorkshire.

  7. #7
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There's a Cornelius Gibbons, coal porter, who was done for coal stealing in 1867 in London, together with another man. It seems to have been a long-term fiddle. Can't find the trial report, just the remand report.
    My Cornelius was in Tasmania in 1859 working as a servant for a Robert Jones.

  8. #8
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    there seem to be two Cornelius Gibbons born in Ireland about the same time. Another marries a Bridget and emigrates to America.

    I seem to have more luck with the wife of the correct Cornelius. An April 1918 Australian newspaper article about the golden wedding anniversary of Jane Pearmain's sister Elizabeth (Mrs Alfred Chatwin) says that the two sisters arrived in Devonport, Tasmania in August 1857 on the ship 'Southern Eagle'. The article says they were the only two members of the Pearmain (the newspaper's spelling) family to emigrate and that they came from Scarborough, Yorkshire.
    Hi, No problems with Jane, I've got all her history from birth to death.

  9. #9
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Cornelius Gibbons does not appear in the Criminal Registers in the 1840s or 1850s, and certainly there is no one of that name transported at that time. In 1867 a man of that name was sentenced to 2 years in prison in London having a previous conviction. I think it is the same person as the one in the 1851 census as he can found in London in the 1861 census married with a son.

    From time to time archives do deals with the big genealogy sites and records get digitised and put on line so its always worth checking their catalogues or the archive's own catalogue to see what has been put on line.
    Thank you Megan, I found the 1861 Cornelius but was'nt sure if it was the same man.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Select a file: