+ Reply to Thread

Thread: War Records

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Default War Records

Hi. I have recently picked up my family research again; building on work done about 10 years ago. The family trees are pretty complete back to around 1800 although one branch (Bowden, Derbyshire) goes back to 1600. My main current interest is getting some information on my father's WWII war record and my grandfather's WW1 war record. In neither case has a simple search on their names come up with anything (Ancestry is the main site I use).
    For my father, I have snippets. He was a driver in the RASC (489 supply platoon?) and went from North Africa to Austria (1946). Pointers on which forums to use would be helpful.
    For my grandfather I have even less to go on. I know that he worked with the horses that pulled the large artillery and probably enlisted in Derbyshire. Thats it!

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,205 Posts

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Enjoy!

Regarding WW2 records, the MOD is still sitting on them. You can (assuming that your Father is no longer with us) buy a copy but you will need to include a copy of his death certificate. If he is still alive, then he has to apply but he would not have to pay. There's a message HERE outlining the procedures and giving links to the necessary forms. When I did it, it took about 3 months.

The best thing for your Grandfather is to give us his name, birthdate and anything else that might make him stand out from the crowd and let us either direct you to somewhere suitable or see what can be found. The main trouble with WW1 army service records is that about 2/3 of them were destroyed during WW2. Give him his own thread over in the WW1 forum.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thank you Lesley. I will look at your process for the WWII records.
    Regarding my grandfather, his name was George Bowden (no other names), dob 16/10/1895 and place of birth was Middleton, Derbyshire. He seems to have destroyed any records relating to his military service which he clearly did not want to reminisce about. Anecdotally, he served in France (Ypres was mentioned) and was on the big gun crews which left him partially deaf for the rest of his life. He seemed to be particularly upset about the treatment of horses; perhaps because he was brought up on a farm. I will look at the WW1 forum.

+ Reply to Thread