Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the offer of the details provided to Dyfed FHS - more than happy to carry on with the info. I already have.
    A check of FindMyPast's merchant seaman's index has thrown up 2 more "Tenby" Callens - John and Wm. But that's it- just given name and PoB.

Are you familiar with Welsh newspapers online - https://newspapers.library.wales Haven't found anything significant to date tho' a couple of ships identified pre. 1820 with a Callen (no given name) as Captain/master. Also, a couple of Callen families in the Amroth/Narbeth area.

Will continue to browse parish records for the Tenby area. Began to browse adjoining parishes, kicking off with Narbeth/Amroth. But their baptismal records only begin 1813!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Thanks a lot. Tried the newspapers though you did better than I. The Callen families in these papers are all Poyer Callen rellies - the gentry - whereas mine are a more lowly lot. I would be interested in the Callen on ships. John and William Callen could be Stephen's son's of those names.

Agreed - the Narbeth/Amroth Callens certainly gentry.

Just found a 1783 baptism at St Issells
    John and Martha, a son and dau'r of James Calanby Eliza wife, Aug 3rd

However, after that the years 1784-1791 a bit scrappy and covered by just 2 pages. Few baptisms '83-'89 (Stephen's YoB 1780-1788 according to census/death certs etc?) No Calans.

Knowledgeable and helpful

This might be your man but apologies if you have already checked it out:

National Archives has a will for a Stephen CALLON dated 1st March 1805 in PROB 11/1435/6.

You can download it for £3.50.

Peter

Ozcair,
    I've been focusing on parish registers - hadn't got round to Welsh wills. Are you familiar with
    https://www.library.wales/discover/nlw-resources/wills/

Settling in

Thanks Peter, much appreciated - Stephen Callen 's name was spelled Callon in one census, however he would have only been 18 in 1805 and probably had nothing to leave, and no dependants, but its possible he made one soon after he went to sea. Nevertheless, worth checking. many thanks - I have checked the Welsh Library wills but could find nothing on Stephen, but will have another go.
    Ozcalr

Settling in

Yes thanks, I know about Martha and wondered whether she might be a relly, but your discovery of her previous Calanby name does not ring any bells, however, its possible the name got changed for some reason so will follow up. I checked the Coastguard records on the Nat. Archives again but could not find any more than I have - there was another set of records I had not seen, but the book covering the 'CALLE,s' is blank. I'll have another look, but find these records pretty hard to follow. I could not find any records for letters of application or references. Do you know of anything in this line please?

Settling in

I had a look at this and it is not my Stephen - the wife is Mary Callen, whereas Stephen's wife was Susannah Webb (Howell) and they married in 1818. I suspect it is one of the Poyer-Callen clan as there is a Stephen in their family. But thanks for spending the time.
    Regards,
    Ozcalr

Settling in

Stephen was an illiterate sailor so probably would not be able to afford a will to be written for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcalr View Post
    Yes thanks, I know about Martha and wondered whether she might be a relly, but your discovery of her previous Calanby name does not ring any bells,
    Apologies for the typo and "... Calanby Eliza ..." - it should, of course, read " ... Calan by Eliza ...".

I wasn't looking for a welsh will for Stephen - rather, any Callan in Tenby or the locale. There was a Sarah Callen, spinster (also on the 1841 Census) with a Tenby address. Of an age to be a sister of your Stephen, possibly? But, sadly, nothing in the will to identify other Callens. Haven't checked other Callen wills (14 in all?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast