Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default CALLEN,CALLON OF TENBY

I have not been able to trace the parents of Stephen Callen, born Tenby about 1780, died 19April1820, married Susannah Webb (born Howell) of St Issells, Pembrokeshire, Wales. I have marriage banns, coastguard ships records, death certificate but no birth certificate. I have corresponded with various relatives and searched other family trees. Stephen was a sailor, starting as a boy and eventually became Chief Boatman in the Coastguard, but I do not know the names of the ships he served upon. He had a seaman's ticket. He worked at Tenby, the Isle of Grain, Rochester, Sheerness and Cork in Ireland during the latter part of his life as a coastguard and lived in Sheerness, Kent, where he was buried. He may have come from St Issel's/Amroth area as Callen is a common name there and that is where his wife came from. It is also an Irish name coming from O'Callaghan and there is a town Callen in Ireland. Any assistance would be fantastic. I am descended from one of his sons, John Stephen. He probably had brothers Joseph and John.

as you are probably aware registration of births was not required in England and Wales until 1837 so there will not be a "birth certificate" for someone born before that date. The most you can hope for is a baptismal record.
    Dyfydd Family History Society have done transcriptions of parish registers for that area and Find My Past also has some Welsh records transcribed on their site.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

Can you confirm the year of death please? What's the source? Trying to reconcile your date of "19 April 1820" with FindMyPast's record under "Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857" for a Stephen Callen, born Tenby, 25 May 1787. The ticket was issued in his capacity as "Chief Boatman Cst Gd"? on 7 July 1845, age 57.It also mentions Rochester as place of normal residence

Have also spotted
    a. National Burial Index - Stephen Callen, buried 19 Aug 1858, place Cemetery, Sheppey
    b. General Register Office Deaths - Srephen Callen, age 78, Sep Qtr 1858, District Sheppey, 2a 378

I have access to Tenby Parish registers but yet to spot a Callen (or similar) birth or marriage around the period you are interested in. But reading these is not straightforward and need to revisit to double check.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The 1851 Census - ref. HO107 Piece 1828 Folio 243 Page 12 - has Stephen Callon, age 63, Superannuated Coast Guard, born Tenby

Have now seen your other post identifying "Surname interests" - confirms the 19 April 1820 death date is incorrect.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

Can you confirm the year of death please? What's the source? Trying to reconcile your date of "19 April 1820" with FindMyPast's record under "Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857" for a Stephen Callen, born Tenby, 25 May 1787. The ticket was issued in his capacity as "Chief Boatman Cst Gd"? on 7 July 1845, age 57.It also mentions Rochester as place of normal residence

Have also spotted
    a. National Burial Index - Stephen Callen, buried 19 Aug 1858, place Cemetery, Sheppey
    b. General Register Office Deaths - Srephen Callen, age 78, Sep Qtr 1858, District Sheppey, 2a 378

I have access to Tenby Parish registers but yet to spot a Callen (or similar) birth or marriage around the period you are interested in. But reading these is not straightforward and need to revisit to double check.
    Yes this is my relly. I have the death certificate 2a 378 you mention. Sorry I mistakenly stated his death wrongly. i also have the various census records and ships transcripts, and his marriage certificate to Susannah Webb (born Howell) in 1818, but nothing on his birth or parentage nor on the ships he served on when at see up to the time he joined the coastguard at 31.

Settling in

I have just written all I know about Stephen for the Dyfed FH Society magazine and can send this to you if of assistance thanks.

Thanks kindly for your efforts.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Might he have a file at The National Archives in the Coastguard section. I seem to recall looking for someone there (and finding him) as a reference was needed for him to be admitted to the job. Because of the nature of the job, all the info on the man was kept on him. One can hire someone in London to actually look for him and his file. pwholt

Settling in

I have his establishment records and where he served and when but no record of his accomplishments. Presumably some log books would have been kept of individual coastguard activities?

Settling in

Or of his parentage?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast