Thread: StalagVIIIB/344

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default StalagVIIIB/344

My father in law was a POW in Lamsdorf Oct.1943-1945 but was sent to Arbiet Command E734 in Nov 1943.
    Can anyone please tell me what went on at this Work Station as I have got loads of info regarding VIIIB but nothing about E734.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

I think that you're referring to the Arbeitskommandos - literally working parties or camps. They were used for lower ranks who were having to work is assorted mines, quarries, factories, etc. E734 was known as "Schoppintiz".
    I must admit that I can't find much...

Have you bought a copy of his service record?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default E734

Thank you Lesley for replying so quickly. Still no new info on Schoppenitz. I know from Google maps it is a suburb of Lambinowice and is Szopienice in Polish. Hope someone out there has some info.

Your best hope is his service record.

Can we assume that he survived?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes survived the war, died 1987. Working on getting his service record from MOD, also seen on net about POW's being asked to complete questionnaire on repatriation, don't know if father in law did one. Think this was on a site that would visit National Archives for you and search for anything.
    Thanks again for replying

I have moved this from "Navigating Brit-Gen" to the WW2 forum, where it might attract more relevant interest.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Try the Facebook Page...Stalag V111B/344 Lamsdorf Prisoners of War.

Hi

There are Red Cross inspection reports kept at TNA for a lot of the Arbeitskommandos. If you are struggling to get to Kew, I'd be happy to look for you on my next visit. I can also see if I can find the repatriation questionnaire, unfortunately only about 10% of POWs filled them out, but I was luck enough to find my grandfather's and uncle's questionnaires.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beswickjoe View Post
    ..... Still no new info on Schoppenitz. ......
    My father was in VIIIB/344 and moved to E283 Ratibor (which was a sugar mill) and E719 Steigern

All the lists and internet links I've got only show E734 Schoppintiz by name but no further details (sorry)

The link to the fb page given by Pat Fowles in post #7 looks like it could be useful - I've applied to join.

Cheers, MTS