Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don’t think that you realize the level of scandal that could attach to unmarried births back then. The only homes for unmarried mothers that would have said openly what they were doing were the Church-related ones ( terms such as “Magdalene’s” were used). Chris’ find was probably as close are you are going to come.
    One of my school friends was sent off to another county as late as the early 1960s - we were all told that she had kidney problems, and she told me (decades) later that she couldn’t even use her own name while she was there. Apparently her parents were advised that this was the normal way to do things.

At least Mosely was advertising himself as licensed, so he’s unlikely to have done anything underhand. Your best bet may be to take what info you have to the Salvation Army’s Family Finding Service. If there is anything more to be found, they will know.

Reputation beyond repute

From the 1901 Irish census, I can confirm that the GOLDFOOT family were Jewish. Not that it helps.

Reputation beyond repute

It would be worth getting hold of a copy of My Ancestor Was a Bastard by Ruth Paley. Perhaps your local library service might oblige.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12