Sheila Shanley

Default Any Information about Thomas J Conkey please.

Since my DNA test I discovered the man who may have been my Biological Father was Thomas John "Jack" Conkey born Kilkeel, Co Down 1922, died Warwick 2008. Not sure what regiment he was in. Was told he was an "Army Chef." He was in Birmingham in 1940's, that's all I know that era, but in 1954 was aboard the HMS Empire Windrush, after a time in Korea. It is possible he was in the Royal Marines, as you have record of his Father, same name Thomas John Conkey, Service No: Deal/1219/S Would appreciate any information please, especially anxious to know what he did in Birmingham UK in 1940's. Many thanks.

Northern Whig, 21 March 1954
    In an article about the survivors of the troopship Empire Windrush it mentions

"Thomas Conkey (32) of Kilkeel, who is attached to the N.A.F.F.I....... Mr Conkey, who was returning home after 16 months service in Korea, also lost all his kit, as well as gifts he had bought in Japan for his mother and three sisters""
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Sheila Shanley

Thank you - that was the same article I saw. Can anyone enlighten me about the N.A.A.F.I or any other information about Thomas J Conkey? Unfortunately there are no family or anyone else to ask. Thanks again.

The NAAFI was the caterer to the British Armed Forces, set up in 1921, and always in the background in life on the bases. Everything from tea wagons to supermarkets on overseas bases. They covered all three services.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I see a marriage for a Thomas John Conkey to Margaret McLaughlin in Kilkeel on 12.2.1914. I suspect that might be your Thomas’s parents:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....37/5571921.pdf

Possible sibling for Thomas John was Henry Joseph Conkey born 10.4.15 Kilkeel.
    There may have been others after that, but the birth records for the past 100 years are not on-line, including obviously Thomas John born 1922. You need to go to GRONI or PRONI in Belfast to look them up. (Or you can phone or e-mail them. There might be a search fee).

This may be Thomas John senior in the 1901 census. His occupation was clerk, and that ties in with the 1914 marriage cert. And he has a son Thomas:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...trand/1215511/

Same family in 1911:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Street/222907/

I see a Thomas Conkey death regd Belfast 21.7.1954 aged 60. Don’t know if that’s connected to your family. You can view it on-line on the GRONI website for £2.50
    ELWYN

Sheila Shanley

Yes Thomas John Conkey and Margaret McLaughlin would be parents to my Thomas John. I have names of all the children, they are all deceased. And I will check out that Thomas Conkey died Belfast 1954. Thanks a million.

Doing a little scouting around on the internet I found this information
    If a member of the NAAFI was deployed in a war zone they immediately became part of the Royal Army Signals Corps and received a service number. So therefore it is possible there are records for such men and women. For information from the MoD go to the web site here and you follow the links. You can then download the applicationfForms. You do not need the service number of the person you are tracing but you will need to send a cheque for £30 and a copy of the death certificate. The problem for you is you are not acknowledged as the next of kin and his death was 2008 so is affected by the 25 year time limit from time of death that allows a full disclosure of the contents of his service records. See this page

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Sheila Shanley

Thank you Christina. WIll check it out.

Famous for offering help & advice

I don’t know whether this is your man, but there was a Thomas Conkey in the 1945 electoral rolls at 71 Gladstone Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham. At the same address were Kathleen Berrells, Michael Doherty, Margaret Finn, Mary E Fagan, James Dawson, Edward J & Annie Sheridan and Stephen O’Reilley.

In 1955 at 134 Farm Street, Ladywood, Birmingham was Thomas J Conkey plus Gertrude Powell, Donald J & Audrey L Powell, John M S_Powell and Ethel V Shepherd.