Loves to help with queries

Default Cross Cottage, Wrington, 1 Silver Street

Hi, my son and his wife have booked a stay in the above cottage in the village of my birth. I remember visiting the inhabitants of this cottage with my now late mother back in the 60's. I believe they were relatives of some kind but can't remember exactly. I do remember that the daughter of the house (aged) was called Ivy but cannot remember her surname. I thought this information may be interesting to the now owners of the cottage. The cottage is listed and circa 1700's. Wish my Mum was still with me, she never forgot anything! Does anyone have the capability of searching an Electoral Roll for this time? Many thanks

For anyone who thinks they can help, Wrington is a village in North Somerset. There's a decent writeup on Google.

The people who may have sets of Electoral Rolls or other info would probably be the local libraries and there's a lot listed for the South West Heritage site. See HERE under Archives & Libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    For anyone who thinks they can help, Wrington is a village in North Somerset. There's a decent writeup on Google.

The people who may have sets of Electoral Rolls or other info would probably be the local libraries and there's a lot listed for the South West Heritage site. See HERE under Archives & Libraries.
    Thanks you the clarification Lesley, Wrington is indeed a North Somerset village and my family has lived there for a fair few generations....

It looks lovely. The trouble is that we have members all over the world, so it helps to be specific!

Famous for offering help & advice

I came across this website https://www.wringtonsomerset.org.uk/s...moose2014.html
    where one of the contributors (Derek Davey) mentions a dentist, Mr Calder, being at Cross Cottage, but by the sound of it this was long before the 1960's.

Thanks for that wimsey, I knew Derek Davey when I was young and am a contributor at times to the village website. Many of my Mum's generation have now passed and they were a fountain of village knowledge, most of them and their parents born and bred in the village.

Just taken another look at the link you gave for the Wrington website, wimsey, and lo and behold Derek mentions Ivy Shaply not once but twice! That is the name I was after! Believe it or not, Derek was answering some quiz questions posed by another villager and I had answered them in the same sequence, answers provided by my Mum! Wish I had a better memory. Many, many thanks for giving me the answer I was after....