+ Reply to Thread
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Red face Hello folks another Newby

Hello everybody, I'm Steve, a new member trying to find my way around what looks to be a very interesting site. I'm not new to genealogy and have been researching my tree since 1992 and my wife's tree only for the past few years. (Only to disprove to her that her grandfather wasn't born in Ireland) as a family rumour had insisted, we all have those to deal with don't we?

It gave me little pleasure to prove that he was born in Birmingham my home City as she was so certain. Going back another 3 generations I found the Irish link and her DNA test with Ancestry overwhelmingly proved there was a link to the Irish ancestor, her having 24% Irish ancestry and a lot more Viking than expected!

Myself, I was 98% British, I'm proud to say, mainly English and Welsh with Scottish and a little Irish thrown in. So all four including Western Europe, France & Belgium etc. So even though I've traced many of my family back to the 17th century, the strange thing is so far I've not found a direct ancestor who wasn't actually English. Maybe this site will help or point me in different directions, I sure it will. I hope I can help other members too.

Genealogy isn't and shouldn't be a closed box, it needs to be shared and I have a public tree on Ancestry that can be viewed by anyone interested in any part of the information I've collected and found over the years. I don't agree with private trees or keeping valuable information to myself when it may be of interest to others researching the same family lines. If I can help I will.

Thanks for allowing me to join.

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,162 Posts

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Have a wander round, see what’s where and join in the fun!
    We have few restrictions, but the few we have can be found in the TOC - mostly about respecting copyright and the privacy of the living.
    If you haven’t used an online forum very often, there’s a message about helping us to help you in the Finding Your Feet forum, which might help. Also, at the top of most forums are what we call sticky essages giving general info for that specific forum. If you find that you’ve done something you didn’t intend, ask a Mod to fix it.

Enjoy!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lesley Robertson For This Useful Post:

Whebudverhal65 (23-07-2018)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thank you, I'll do my best to keep to the rules and will have a look at that Lesley.

+ Reply to Thread