Starting to feel at home

Default 13th Battalion Rifle Brigade

I have come across a photo of (I think) a young Uncle Fred with an army officer and I wondered if anyone could shed some light on who the officer is. Written on the back of the photo/postcard is 4903 Sergeant Major ??? 13th Battalion Rifles Brigade B company, but I can't read the name. Can anyone help with this as I have tried everything to find a surname that looks like that!?

Many thanks for any help you can offer. If I know who the officer is I might be able to date the photo. From what I can see the 13th battalion were based in Wycombe for a time but I can't seem to find more than that.

The combination of his number and regiment, plus a C (which I’m pretty certain is at the start) leads to CSM (Company Sgt Major) and WOII Joseph Croutcher. I think that fits with the Ned of he name as well, I think.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your quick reply, Lesley - I was going for tcher or tchen and the letter C at the beginning but felt the name was longer than Croutcher. Do you mean that CSM and then the beginning of his name is blanked out?

ETA: S4903 on the records, so I think you have found my man! Do you (or anyone) have any idea why this kind of photo would have been taken? Again, thank you for your help.

Starting to feel at home

One other quick question... do you know if CSM Croutcher died during the war or if he went on to fight another day?

No, they are not blanked out, the medal card was made at a different time to the writing of the card, that’s why the ranks (RSM vs CSM) are different.

Have a look for him on CWGC.org. If he died in the the War, he should be there. It’s not so simple on my phone and I won’t be turning the pc on again tonight.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you again - I will go check :-)