Default SARAH HART NEE SIMMONS-JOHN BUTLER BUSHELLE

This thread is an update to much earlier threads -PERCY HORACE UNDERWOOD possibly PERCY HART started 26.3.2011; HART,SIMMONS-THORLEY-WHELAN-WILLETT UK and Australian links 01.10.2006; CLAUDE SPENCER HART

In these threads I provided a range of data relating to David Hart son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs and his wife Sarah Simmons daughter of James Simmons and Agnes Thorley. I also posted on Claude Spencer Hart son of Nathan James Hart (son of David Hart/Sarah Simmons).

The postings identified 3 sons of Sarah named as John, James aka Nathan and Percy E Hart. These 3 sons appeared with their mother in the 1861 British Census ( Copyright TNA) RG9 450 212 5
    Ashburton Cottage 2 Selhurst Road Croydon Surrey
    Sarah Hart H Widow 35 Independent b Australia
    Percy E Hart son 1 b Middx London
    John son 15 b Australia
    James son 11 b Middx
    +1 servant
    Also in the same house:
    Sarah H SIMMONS H M 45 House proprietor b Middx London
    +1 servant

Todate I have yet to identify who Sarah H Simmons was or what her maiden name might have been

My earlier posts attempted to trace Percy Hart and the thread Percy Horace Underwood possibly Hart sought to speculate that he was an illegitimate son of Sarah. The research also showed that Sarah was not a widow and that her husband David Hart outlived her and re- married.

The issue regarding Percy and his father remained unresolved and the posts also showed that he received a regular remittance from Claude Spencer Hart son of Nathan aka James Hart but no data to confirm a relationship or why the money was paid.

I had assumed that Sarah had not re-married. However, this week a researcher looking into the John Butler Bushelle lines kindly contacted me to provide information which showed that Sarah may have re-married but at the least had a relationship with John.

On the death of Sarah in 1890 she left probate to her 2 sons James and John with no mention of Percy.

Importantly, three Australian Newspaper accounts give 4 separate Death notices for Sarah in 1890. One of these refers to Sarah as 'the beloved wife' of J B Bushelle:
    At her residence, GLENDARRA,Paddington Street Paddington, Sarah the beloved eldest daughter of Agnes and the late James SIMMONS. The Sydney Morning Herald Thurs 6 Feb 1890

HART- Feb 3 at 51 Paddington Street Sarah wife of David Hart of London formerly of Sydney NSW aged 66 years- Evening News Sydney Weds 5 Feb 1890

BUSHELLE -Feb 3 at 51 Paddington Street Sarah BUSHELLE aged 58 years- The Sydney Morning Herald Thur 13 Feb 1890

BUSHELLE-February 3 at 51 Paddington Street, Sarah beloved wife of J B Bushelle aged 58 years The Sydney Morning Herald NSW Tues 4 Feb 1890

When John Butler Bushelle died the following year in 1891 his address was also Glendarra Paddington Street-
    The Australia Star (Sydney) Mon 14 Sept 1891
    BUSHELLE- At his residence Glendarra, Paddington Street Paddington Mr John Bushelle eldest son of the late Madame Bushelle aged 53

I will post further on John Butler Bushelle including his marriage in 1891 and son born 1892.

Phillip

There is significant data on the parents of John Butler Bushelle- see online Austral Harmony Eliza and John Bushelle and family-Dr Graeme Skinner University of Sydney online resource towards the history and music and musicians in colonial and early Federation Australia.
    It is not my intention of repeating the data other than to say that John Bushell aka Bushelle c 1805/6 -1843 b Limerick was transported to Tasmania- see Old Bailey trials online and married Eliza wallace 1820-1878. They were well known accomplished singers as was their son John Butler- baritone singer, music teacher.

At least 2 records show John Butler Bushelle in London and New York:
    United Grand Lodge of England Freemasons Membership Registers Feb 22 1866 Lodge 34 Mount Moriah
    John Butler's address 1 Pembroke Terrace St.James

He can also be seen travelling to the UK to New York:
    John Butler Bushelle 36 Gentleman with Ada Bushelle 40 Lady. They sailed on the Adriatic from Liverpool to NY arriving NY 18 Nov 1872.

When Sarah Hart died she referred to herself as the wife or widow of David Hart. No mention was made of John Butler Bushelle which raises the question as to whether or not she actually married him in spite of the Newspaper record of her death where she is referred to as "beloved wife of J B Bushelle" Sydney Morning Herald Tues 4 Feb 1890

How long Sarah lived with John Butler Bushelle is not known. Whether or not Percy Horace Underwood was the son of John Butler Bushelle is also not known.

However, John Butler Bushelle married Henrietta Marianna HEAD in 1891
    The Sydney Mail and NSW Advertiser Sat 25 July 1891

BUSHELLE-HEAD
    July 14 at the residence of the bride's father -John Butler Bushelle to Henrietta Marianna Head

John Butler Bushelle died the same year 1891- The Australian Star (Sydney0 Mon 14 Sept 1891
    Bushelle- Died Sept 14 at his residence Glendarra, Paddington Street Paddington Mr John Butler Bushelle eldest son of the late Madame Bushelle age 53 years.

The following year his wife Henrietta gave birth to a son- Bushelle May 3 at Glendarra, Paddington the wife of the late John Butler Bushelle of a son The Sydney Herald Mon 16 May 1892.

The son was Baptised Cathedral Church St Andrew 12 June 1892- John Edward Wallace Bushelle - parents John Butler Bushelle Gentleman-Henrietta Amelia Bushelle

John Edward Wallace Bushelle died WW1- see online records Captain AIF 36 Battalion Death 6.4.1918 age 25 Blangy -Tronville Communal Cemetery Somme France

Henrietta died at Pomeroy Macleay Steet Potts Point Near Sydney 26 Oct 1915 leaving bequests to her son, sisters, brother, niece.

There are still unanswered questions regarding the relationship between Sarah Hart nee Simmons and John Butler Bouchelle- I have yet to locate any UK or Australian marriage record. Was Percy Underwood their son? Why was Percy Underwood left an annuity by one of the Hart if he was not related?

Phillip

As a small follow on from the previous posts on Sarah Hart nee Simmons ( possibly 'married' to John Butler Bushelle) here is another Australian Newspaper record for her funeral:
    The friends of Mr J B BUSHELLE are respectfully invited to attend the funeral of his late beloved wife to move from 51 Paddington Street at 1.15 this Wednesday afternoon the 5th and for the Necropolis at 2.30- The Sydney Morning Herald Wed 5 Feb 1890.

In #1 of this thread reference was made in the 1861 Census to Sarah H Simmons living at the same address as Sarah Hart and her 3 children. I cannot as yet identify who she was. There is a family tree and other records relating to James Simmons and Agnes Thorley the parents of Sarah Simmons among other data including some of which I sent some years ago to Prof Jim Falk Uni Melbourne- see his website Cohen and Cassirer. There was a Sarah Simmons b 1831 daughter of Isaac Simmons and Matilda Barnett who married her cousin Joseph Simmons. However she was too young for the Sarah H Simmons age 45 in 1861.
    It is possible that this Sarah maiden name unknown may have married into one of the James Simmons siblings line but this requires further research.

Phillip

The issue of whether or not Sarah Hart nee Simmons was 'married' to John Butler Bushelle might be resolved according to her Jewish burial record at Rookwood Jewish Cemetery NSW. This records shows-Sarah HART Sarah bat Shimon b 01 Jan 1823 age 67 death 3 Feb 1890 13 Shevat 5650 Burial 5 Feb 1890 Section OGS Row 9 Plot 181.
    This burial record makes no mention to Bushelle.

Other Australian Newspaper records show- Australian Town and Country Journal ( Sydney) Sat 20 April 1878
    April 13 Also to Embark at Melbourne per Assams steamer April 16 for Venice Mr and Mrs J B BUSHELLE

The Sydney Morning Herald Thur 8 March 1883 Overland Passenger Traffic for Melbourne Mr and Mrs J B Bushelle
    Donation St Vincent's Hospital Sat July 7 1883 - Mrs J B Bushelle £5.5s 0d-Freemans Journal Sat 7 July 1883

My thoughts are that with no record of any divorce or marriage Sarah Hart nee Simmons never married John Butler Bushelle.

Phillip