Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Can't find people in the 1939 Registration

I've been looking at the 1939 Registration at grandparents. Claude Lionel Hume and his wife, Nellie, are noted in Dawlish, Devon - as expected. There is a closed record in their household but I don't know which of their daughters it might be to get it opened by providing the right death certificate.

Cynthia Hume was born in 1923 and I believe she was away somewhere in Devon at school in 1939. Her younger sister was Daphne Hume born 1928 and I think it is more likely her at home with her parents.

I can't find either of the 'girls' in the search results …………..

Famous for offering help & advice

did Cynthia or Daphne have middle names ? I ask that because you might have noticed that the redacted name in the register has loops to two letters showing beneath the redaction (if you see what I mean).

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Are Cynthia and Daphne now both deceased, and do you have both of their death certificates?
    If you do, then send off Daphne's first, and say you think she's living in Dawlish with her parents Claude and Nellie.
    If it comes back negative, then send off Cynthia's.

If they married, what were their married surnames? Do you know their actual birthdates?
    Asking because you can use either of those as search parameters. e.g. if Cynthia was born on 29 Feb 1923 then you could search for Cynthia, no surname, born 29 Feb 1923 +/- 2 years, or, bearing in mind figures can get mistranscribed, 1928, 1918, 1938, 1933, 1935. (One of my aunts was originally given her daughter's date of birth so I had a bit of trouble finding her using her birth year. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    did Cynthia or Daphne have middle names ? I ask that because you might have noticed that the redacted name in the register has loops to two letters showing beneath the redaction (if you see what I mean).
    Good spot, wimsey.

Based on that (and depending on Cynthia's middle name) I would say that it's Cynthia because those loops look as if they both belong to a y.

BTW, Audrey, FMP had made a bit of a dog's dinner of Nellie's name so I've sent off a correction.

Pam

I did notice the mis-transcribed names for both Claude and Nellie and tried to make a correction but couldn't get it to do it. Thank you for taking care of it for me.

Cynthia was Cynthia Haigh Hume and Daphne was Daphne Ross Hume and I have dates of birth for both so will try the amended/alternative search you suggest above - I didn't know about that option.

On another note, my husband thinks his mother (Cynthia) may have been away at school (Maynards in Exeter, perhaps) in 1939.

If all else fails I will send in one death certificate and see what happens before sending the second one.

So, I sent off Cynthia's death certificate and the record has been opened and it is her and noted as 'at school'. No great surprise there. But, still no sign of her younger sister, Daphne. I have tried searching with her surname only and actual date of birth and searching with her first name and date of birth. Daphne was Daphne Ross Hume born 28th April 1928 and never married so I have discounted those/most who show alternative surnames which, I think, indicate future married names.

Family folklore/memory says Daphne was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 1941 and there are stories of her mother having to journey from their home in Devon to London in the blitz to visit Daphne in hospital.

In 1939 common sense/logic says Daphne was with her parents and big sister or in school somewhere. Where the heck is she hiding in 1939?

Famous for offering help & advice

I suppose no chance that she was staying with a relative at the time and gone into the register with the relative's surname ? - or is that an impossible scenario ? I expect you have already explored the two Daphne Humes in the register with other middle initials and both apparently born 1929.

I had thought about that but think it is unlikely. Her mother had no siblings. Her father had several siblings. Two older sisters had been in Canada for many years by then, another brother had died, another in Canada and the only remaining brother does not have her in his household. Grandparents were all deceased.

I don't think I saw Daphnes born 1929 with Hume as a surname!! At least, I can't see them now …………..

Have you considered that, as she was only 11 years old at the time, the record for Daphne Ross Hume may also be closed and, therefore, will not show up on a search. Presumably, the solution is to submit Daphne's death certificate and let FMP find her!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Have you considered that, as she was only 11 years old at the time, the record for Daphne Ross Hume may also be closed and, therefore, will not show up on a search. Presumably, the solution is to submit Daphne's death certificate and let FMP find her!

Peter
    Unfortunately it don't work like that.
    I recently sent off the death certificate of an uncle-by-marriage and I had to tell FMP which household/address I expected him to be living in/at.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast