Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes, my understanding was that to get a record opened one had to identify where they were living. As I understand it, FMP have opened a lot of records through their own research of marriages and deaths which is why some records for women are marked with married names and opened as the person concerned has died. My own mother's record as a 12 year old in 1939 was marked with her three marriages and opened long before I submitted her death certificate.

I suppose I just have to wait and hope Daphne's record is opened by FMP but I just can't understand where she would have been if not with her parents. We thought Cynthia would have been away at school but she was with her parents. The 1939 Registration was taken in term time so it is all a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Unfortunately it don't work like that.
    I didn't mean it to sound so simple, but I was wrong anyway!

I presumed that FMP would be able to search the whole 1939 Register (including closed records) by name but, perhaps surprisingly, they, like us, do not have that facility.

I now know that providing an address to open a closed record was in fact a legal requirement of the 1939 Register being made available on line.

Frustrating though, isn't it?

Peter

It is frustrating! Where is my Daphne???

A fountain of knowledge

Forgive me if I am making a fool of myself, but I googled Daphne's full name and the first entry seems to fit the person you seek,
    although I appreciate it can't possibly be that simple! But check out the first entry as two details fit your posting No.6.
    I can't say anything more since she may well be alive. let me know!
    Best wishes
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Daphne Ross Hume died 22 July 2013.
    Ancestry's England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015 says her residence at time of death was Exmouth, Devon.
    FMP also have her death in their United Kingdom Deaths 2007-2017 Transcription dataset.
    She left a will. Probate was granted 9 April 2015.

You can order a copy of the the grant and will via the Probate Calendar. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

I don't know if you already have this information but I found that Claude Lionel Hume died June Q 1963 age 74 Reg. Devon Central 7a 331. He married Q4 1921 Nellie H Haigh. Reg Bradford 9b 287
    Jill

Thank you all!

Claude and Nellie are my husband's maternal grandparents and I have a very extensive biography of them. I have Daphne's death certificate (my husband did the probate of her Will) and I was all ready to send it off to FMP to get her record opened - but, I can't find her where I think she should be.

As FMP don't recognise her, under the 100 year rule, as deceased I suppose I will have to wait and hope they catch up with themselves and their own research and open her record. As she is not living with her parents (Claude and Nellie) in Devon and it is her sister (my mother-in-law) in the household whose record I have had opened I don't know where Daphne could be in 1939. 'Tis quite a mystery!

Googling Daphne did reveal two records. The first was her entry from when she was involved with the running of the block of flats in Exmouth where she lived and she resigned from that role many years ago. The 192.com information on line is from the 2002 electoral roll so quite out of date now. Nothing else useful appeared but it was interesting to see what there was on Google which I hadn't thought of doing.

A fountain of knowledge

Others are better informed than I, but I thought one sends off death cert to FMP and with that the record is opened
    irrespective of the date. I sent off one for someone who died 1923 so don't know about a 100 year old rule?
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Others are better informed than I, but I thought one sends off death cert to FMP and with that the record is opened
    irrespective of the date. I sent off one for someone who died 1923 so don't know about a 100 year old rule?
    Jill
    As well as the death certificate you also have to supply a place of residence in 1939. See posts #9 and 10.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

AUDREY

I gave some information in my posts Nos. 14 & 16 re your search for Daphne Hume in the 1939 Register. You mentioned that
    your husband thought she might have gone to school in Exeter possibly at Maynards. Before you also said that he dealt with her Probate, I contacted the School for you and have just received the following information:

"The School Magazines of the 1930s and 1940s give a list of the girls leaving each year. From them I am able to confirm that Daphne Hume was a pupil at Maynard from 1936 � 1940, leaving in July 1940 at the end of what we would now call year 7. (If she was in hospital in London in 1939, she could still be on our books as a pupil even if she was unable to attend.) I can also confirm that Cynthia Hume was a pupil with us until December 1940."

Does this help?
    Best wishes Jill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast