ray4711

Default Henry/Harry Phillips 1898 - 1946

My father's older brother was baptised as Harry, in 1924 he called his eldest son -Harry but, with no WW1 records that fit his case in the name of Harry Phillips I now have a record that could fit his case but in the name of Henry Phillips. Without a 'date of service entry' it is possible that Harry joined under age and may have used the name Henry to avoid any checks by 'the authorities'. All guesswork. What do I know.
    Born & baptised 1898 in Manchester, Lancashire, wounded (probable leg/foot injuries) whilst in Mesopotamia & relocated to an English Army Hospital - no dates but a family visit with 2 surviving 'snaps'. It is possible that the cap badge is of the Devonshire Regiment. A Battalion of the Devonshires fought in Mesopotamia. There is a Medal Card on Ancestry for a Private Henry Phillips, Service No. 67561 of the Devonshire Regiment. The Archive reference given is WO372/15. I am not based in the UK and I have little knowledge of the National Archives. Can anyone suggest how it might be possible to track down this case. Ray Phillips

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you about our connection.
    Unfortunately 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds a service record for their ancestor.
    Medal Roll Index cards and Award and Medal records do survive but these very rarely have any personal details. The service records and Index card records are on Findmypast and ancestry both of which are pay per view sites.
    There is a service record for a Harry Phillips of the Manchester regiment service number 4115 but he was discharged 15 April 1916.
    If you want to upload a photograph of your man in uniform some of our members may recognise the regiment he belonged to.
    Also some details of parents names, siblings may help to eliminate the contenders.
    The WO372/15 National Archives reference number will direct you back to Findmypast (or ancestry?) to look at what you hae already found.
    The National Archives do have War diaries but are not likely to have reference to the lower ranks unless they performed some extraordinary act of bravery.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ray4711

Default Henry/Harry Phillips 1898 - 1946

Thank you Christina for your reply. I suppose it is my fault for not giving you more details about myself. If I had, it would have saved you having to guess as to "how much does he know" - so my apologies. I am one of the 'ancient ones who have been involved deeply in genealogy since retirement over 20 years ago; although a member of FWR for many years and the Forum since 2012 I have rarely availed myself of the Forum connection. Nor does it mean that I know all the answers - I wish that I did!
    The question about the name 'Henry or Harry' - Occasionally I have come across records for WW1 service men who, having joined up at 15, 16 or 17 to be with their pals stating that they were 18 or 19 years of age but never a one who actually changed (subtly) part of their name to avoid detection - I wondered if others knew of such cases - I ask myself the question, 'am I wasting time in following up on the Henry name?'
    I had hoped that FWR's listing of hospital cases and transport to England by ship of severely injured soldiers might give me further information - but and over many years - nothing has shown up.
    I was not aware that it is possible to upload a photo - my fault in not looking at all the symbols, so here goes. 2 photos uploaded. Your other questions - parents: Thomas & Mary Phillips, siblings Ethel Bn 1904 & John William Bn 1906. Ray Phillips

Hi
    Two great photos. Hopefully some of our members with more experience than me will be able to help and to get ore attention I have moved this thread to the WW1 1914-1918

As for people changing their names it was done. My great grandfather joined up in 1909 using his own name, Was dishonourably discharged, joined up in 1914 using his first name and his mother's maiden surname, went AWOL, joined up again using his own first name and a non family surname, went AWOL and joined up again under a completely different name!! How lucky were we that his records survived.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Ray, the use of Harry or Henry and visa versa is common to my knowledge, I have a few of my own.