Default George Norman Francis

George Norman Francis. His story is that he was born on 23 May 1894 in Harley Shropshire. There was no result after searching BDM for Shropshire and he isn't listed on any Shropshire census. He was raised by his aunties, Alice & Agnes Francis in Lucknow India, this is true. There is no record of baptisms or births listed on the FIBIS website for George Norman Francis. He served in the IAOR in India, he says he trained as an engineer, owned a printing shop and worked for Maharaja Tikiryi. He married Nancy Burns in Calcutta in 1935 and had two children. At Partition, he and his family moved to England. I don't know if he was a British citizen by birth or marriage. I have no information regarding his parents, where he was educated. Any help would be gratefully received.
    Thank you

Norman Hurst

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums

George Norman was aged 40 when he married Nancy Burns in 1935 so I wondered if he had been married before. I found this marriage on familysearch.org
    George Francis married Alice jane Gomes in Vayitri, Madras, India 11 October 1922. He was 28 and Alice 20.
    George's father is John Francis and Alice's father Joseph Gomes

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

To save others looking it up, Partition (the separation of India and Pakistan) happened on 14-15 August, 1947.

Brick wall demolition expert!

As you already know there isn't a birth registration in 1894 in Shropshire for a George Norman Francis. There are however 5 birth registrations for George Francis in England and Wales in 1894, although only 4 would fit with a birth date of May.

It's not unusual for middle names to appear after birth and he could have been born away from home.

George Francis' marriage to Alice Gomes has it as a RC ceremony and george is Anglo-Indian. I don't know if this is your George Norman but worth taking note of.
    I did look for a death of an Alice Francis in India 1922 - 1935 but can't see one as yet.
    There is also this death and burial
    Adolphus Duncan Francis
    Birth Date 1924
    Death 28 Feb 1924 Age 0
    Burial 29 Feb 1924 at Calicut, Madras, India
    Father - George Francis
    Mother - Alice
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christanel,

Thanks for this information.I also thought that George Norman may have been married prior to marrying Nancy Burns, So I will try your lead.

Norman