Default Crediton, Devon marriage

Hi, I have found a marriage on familysearch, for James Hill to Thomazine Beck in 1814, crediton, Devon. but can't view actual register, would it have fathers name on it if I could. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Loriaine-hill,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The answer is usually 'no' as there is no specific box for father's name as there is on marriage certificates introduced with the start of civil registration on 1 July 1837. Any of the witnesses might be a relation of the bride or groom; equally they might be the churchwarden or just friends.

The image for the marriage is available on Findmypast. If you're not familiar with FMP, from the top banner, select search, and from the dropdown menu click A-Z record sets. Select England, type Devon, and select 'Devon parish registers browse'.
    When you get the marriage register, you want page 19 of 302.

If you don't have a subscription then you can take out a fourteen day free trial, but make sure you untick the 'automatic renewal' box.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi

I had a look at the original record and it doesn't give the fathers
    James Hill Bachelor of this Parish Cordwainer
    Tomazina Beck Spinster
    Married in the presebce of
    Wm. Beck
    Wm. Amery

It looks like they both signed their names

Peanut

Hello Pam

I have tried to add a copy of this parish marriage and i still cant manage to do it, i first use the snippet tool to cut and copy the image to my desk top i then upload image to the reply window using insert image but all that appears is a load of numbers am i saving it wrong

Peanut

Peanut

Hi Peanut,

I'm no techie so I don't have a clue what you're doing wrong.

However, if you're talking about uploading an image from a commercial site then that is a clear breach of the T&Cs of both that site and British-Genealogy. So don't even think about it, let alone do it, as it will be deleted. Because of copyright issues you have to be careful of uploading most images.

Loraine-hill has been told where she can find the image if she wishes to view it.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 10-07-2018 at 1:53 PM. Reason: Deleted misleading information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Peanut,

I'm no techie so I don't have a clue what you're doing wrong.

However, if you're talking about uploading an image from a commercial site then that is a clear breach of the T&Cs of both that site and British-Genealogy. So don't even think about it, let alone do it, as it will be deleted. Because of copright issues you have to be careful of uploading most images.

Loraine-hill has been told where she can find the image if she wishes to view it.

Pam
    Pam

OMG i dint know that thank you this is most likely the reason i cant upload wont be doing that again

Peanut

I don't think the copyright (not copright as my tablet originally spelt the word ) issue had anything with your uploading problem. It would have been something technical you were doing wrong (e.g. pressing buttons in the wrong order), but as I said, I wouldn't have a clue as to what it was.

Pam

Thank you Pam, for trying, glad you didn't upload it, didn't want anyone in trouble. Thank you Peanut, for letting us know. I am a member of ancestry, but not fmp....will wait til that expires...thank you

Reputation beyond repute

will wait til that expires
    You can get a free trial or buy a few credits.

Thanks again all...will buy a months subscription, see how I get on