Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Recognize This Crest?

Just wondering if this image of a crest means anything to anybody, or if they could point me in the right direction.

I confess that I cannot make out anything in the image just a blur of colours. Could you give us a few more clues as to where it comes from? perhaps the name of the city it is dedicated to or the person you got it from.
    I am sure that the genealogy detectives that are our members would love to have a name or names to get started on this hunt
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A clearer image would be helpful - as Ladkyis has said all we can see is a blur of colours.

Do you know where the actual artefact came from, how long it's been in the family, etc?

Back in the day (1970/80s) there was a trend to buy a copy of 'the family crest'. Can't remember if all the crests (which were mounted in a similar way to yours) had a surname underneath. I think a lot of the crests were of dubious origin.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

It reminds me of the crests that British service stations (army and RAF) and ships used to swap during goodwill visits.
    Assuming that it's easier to see on the original of the photo (try a magnifying glass), is there any text?

Starting to feel at home

Hi, thanks for the replies. There's no better picture and I don't think the item actually exists anymore. Picture is from the 1970s in Canada in the home of a Flynn, but is clearly not the Flynn crest.

The clearest thing in the picture is the 3 red chevrons in the bottom left quarter so I tried Googling on images of "3 red chevrons". Google being Google, I got hundreds of hits, many completely irrelevant, but maybe it's worth trying yourself.

Trouble is, it could be anything - a sports club, a military base, even one of those "have we got a family crest for you!" shields that were popular a few years back.

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you know any more about the background of the people who had it? Things like where they originally came from, the jobs they did, whether they went to university - or if nothing else, which part of Canada were they in in the 1970s? Anything, really, that might give a bit of a focus to the search.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Do you know any more about the background of the people who had it? Things like where they originally came from, the jobs they did, whether they went to university - or if nothing else, which part of Canada were they in in the 1970s? Anything, really, that might give a bit of a focus to the search.
    British, Irish, Scottish backgrounds. Labourers, farmers, etc. Wouldn't be a university thing. Had relatives in the Canadian infantry and airforce in WW1 and WW2.

I would start with crests associated with the Canadian forces, then. It may relate to a squadron or a base.

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm not really getting anywhere with this. I've tried Canadian regimental and squadron coats of arms, also towns, cities, counties, provinces etc in Canada, England, Scotland and Ireland.

Since there seem to be two distinct halves (I think), does that suggest it's more likely to be a family one resulting from a marriage, rather than some kind of public body?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast